Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Early POP report

Looks like there is new data on the populations of the SF coins.

Comments

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    If there are really 100+ ms68 and 4 D mint's that are ms69, then they are either grading wrong or categorizing wrong. That date does not come in ms69 or even ms68 that easily.
  • Options
    CoinFameCoinFame Posts: 647
    Hmmmmmm image

I'm glad I didn't make 100ea of the 68SF Statehood Quarters... Why do it???
    Seth
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad I didn't make 100ea of the 68SF Statehood Quarters... Why do it???
    So I can buy them cheap!!!

Like I said a while back the mint is really messing up the state quarters grading. There are allready MS66 coins worth five to ten times the value of some of the MS68's out there. And the reverse is also true on other dates.
  • Options
    After considering the problem I will offer FREE, yes free analysis to board members in possession of pcgs graded slabs that are questionable MS/satin slabs. Just send them on over. i'm not saying i know more or grade better than PCGS but errors do happen in operations and in the end, it is the Dealer who is stuck with the burden of reimbursement to the buyer according to the PCGS authorized dealer agreement (the way i read it). More coffee...............
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If there are really 100+ ms68 and 4 D mint's that are ms69, then they are either grading wrong or categorizing wrong. That date does not come in ms69 or even ms68 that easily"

Mark: I have personally "frozen" the (4) MS69's in question (as well as most of those MS68's you speak of) which I got in on consignment, and have alerted PCGS to the problem. Mechanical errors occur from time to time and are easily corrected. The problem only comes up when submittors of these coins, knowing they are wrong (or likely wrong) decide to peddle them to the unsuspecting public. You are correct that PCGS often has recourse against the submitting dealer in such a case.

And a word of caution to any collector out there considering the purchase of an MS68 or higher graded 2005 "regular issue" state quarter (or any other 2005 denomination) - either you are 100% confident in your knowledge of the coins to ensure the coin is a true regular issue (non-satin) specimen or it would be a very good idea to double check with someone with such knowledge before buying such a coin.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm glad I didn't make 100ea of the 68SF Statehood Quarters... Why do it??? So I can buy them cheap!!! Like I said a while back the mint is really messing up the state quarters grading. There are allready MS66 coins worth five to ten times the value of some of the MS68's out there. And the reverse is also true on other dates. >>

Don't get me wrong, I think MS68SF is a great way to collect quarters, with the P-KS and D-WV being the toughest. (Very few people can do 69SF or 70SF.)

Many of us sent in 68SF as it's a beautiful coin worth owning, but it just seems that it's a little over-zealous to send in 100-200ea 68SF in the first 30 days... image

Seth
  • Options
    please explain, the pop report is showing this as SF quarters with a high
    number in 68 , a few in 69 and a couple in 70.
    I would think the 68 SF quarters would be common for most states
    and would expect to see the pop raise very high in the next 3 months
    TIm
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    Ahhhha! You're the culprit Mitch. If the ms69's are in the freezer you better watch or Jen might serve them to you for Dinner.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Ahhhha! You're the culprit Mitch. If the ms69's are in the freezer you better watch or Jen might serve them to you for Dinner."

They'll be back to PCGS in a day or two to fix.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Over 220 on eBay already....

PCGS Satin Finish Search
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Over 220 on eBay already.... >>

And not one stinking Roosie in the whole bunch. image
    Dan
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    imageAnd not one stinking Roosie in the whole bunch.
  • Options

<< <i>imageAnd not one stinking Roosie in the whole bunch. >>

Sorry guys, I had to send my Roosies back for a reholder. image
    Seth
  • Options
    give them a little time,seems the pops are growing
    wait about a month and you will see some , still a bit early
    or you can order a few dozen sets from the mint and cherry pick
    a few to send in, 68fb should be the norm on the sf dimes
    and I have seen a few 69fb's in the pop report
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb