Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT KENNEDY HALVES..OPINIONS?

I found this coin going thru Mint Sets this a.m. Wondering if the slight rub on the shield or the rub at about 1 o'clock on the rim - would keep this coin out of a 68 holder? The OBV of the coin is dam near perfect. Any opinions? I popped this coin up on my site in the "Lincolns Currently at PCGS" section....it has NOT be submitted yet. Again, I know nothing about Kennedy's!

2005 P Kennedy

Comments

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I would think it will keep it from getting into an 8 holder. Might be a bit easier to pick up an already graded 68?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it in an 8 holder even with the hits on the shield.

I own a 2002 in a 68 holder and yours is a bit cleaner overall.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    i went thru about 30 mint sets and this is the first Kennedy that has EVER jumped out at me. It looks UNREAL...my photos do not even do it justice. Almost every Kennedy that I see has some sort of hits on the face or jaw. This thing does not. The photo actually makes the two marks on the REV look worse than they really are.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    If it were a standard business strike, it would MS68 all day long. But, my hunch is that PCGS is tougher on the satin finish coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CoinFameCoinFame Posts: 647

<< <i>I would think it will keep it from getting into an 8 holder. Might be a bit easier to pick up an already graded 68? >>

I ended up with a 68 or two, (with my 69's), but it wasn't because of the shield... Even if they put it in an 8 holder, you can probably find one somewhere for very little over the price of grading fees and not have to wait for it. (The pop already shows 100+ in 68)

Still, there's something about making the coin yourself, right? image

Seth
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen a Kennedy make 68 with a hit on the top of the shield. Seen a lot of 67's but that seems to be the critical flaw the graders watch for.
  • Options
    CoinFameCoinFame Posts: 647

<< <i>I have not seen a Kennedy make 68 with a hit on the top of the shield. Seen a lot of 67's but that seems to be the critical flaw the graders watch for. >>

I have seen one that had tiger claws at the top of the shield image, but I would have to say that I don't send them in for 68's like that.
    Seth
  • Options
    I dont think it will go in a 68 holder as a regular business strike or with the sf designation. I have never seen a 68 with a obvious multi hit to the shield. The scuffing at one o'clock is a little distracting as well. There appears to be some scuffing on the right wind tips and on the right tip of the shield as well. It is always better to make your own coin but, the final sales I have been tracking on ebay for a 68 sf has been just over grading fees. the most expensive one I have seen sell is $28.00. This is just my tracking of ebay, I dont search everyday. JMHO.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would go 68 due to the shield hits. I have a 96-D in PCGS plastic which has the same flaw, and it's only graded a 66.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Even if it gets 68, they will soon be a dime a dozen.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if it gets 68, they will soon be a dime a dozen. >>

They already are.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Edited to say with regards to the 96-d picture: A huge percentage of them look like that and right now that's a 6 due to the rub on the reverse. It appears there's also enough friction in my opinion right at the highpoint near where the cheek and the chin meet (as usual for the series) to where the obverse is likely only an ms67. This is an average coin for the series if you look at 1,000 diversified sets. They are extremely tough to find in true pcgs level ms68 and generally only make that level if they loosen up through a batch grade deal where they have to hit the proper percentages based on the submission amount. Again just my opinion but this is the state of the process as I see it this year.

With reagrd to the satin finish 2005-p coin. It's an ms68 SF I bet
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Thanks for everyone's opinions! I don't even collect Kennedy's...but this coin just sort of jumped out at me while going thru a bunch of 2005 sets. Even if it was to end up in a 68 holder....I probably could not sell it for much more than I would pay to have it graded.

So, WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH IT? SELL IT ON EBAY RAW?