Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question About Previous Pedigree Coins That Are Sent TO PCGS For A New Owner Pedigree

If a Registry Set owner sends his set to PCGS for pedigree, and his set contains coins that had been pedigreed by
someone in the past, How does PCGS handle this new pedigree request?

Comments

• Options
    Danny,

They (PCGS) simple re-holder all your coins (assuming you're in the top 5) with your name or chosen wording on the label insert. The former pedigree names carry no weight and has no bearing on you having your set pedigreed, so long as the coins are registered to you. I know this because I had the same situation on some of my coins when I pedigreed my set 3 years ago. It's really no different than sending in one coin to have the coin reholdered, to have the pedigree name removed. Again, it's your coin, and you can have it re-holdered however your prefer, regardless of any existing Pedigree already on the coin insert.

Tom Schiera
  • Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tom for the info.
    If i understand the process correctly, if XYZ sends his set to PCGS for pedigree, then sells his set to
    ABC, and ABC sends the same coins to PCGS for pedigree in ABC name, then there is no longer any pedigree coins in existance from XYZ?
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...with your name or chosen wording... >>

If it's one of the 144 pc. "The Heller Collection" commems, change it to "The Heller Collection/ your name" please. These are very rare pedigreed-slab collector pieces, ya know. As I understand it, within minutes of my sale, there was a line at the pcgs booth for reholdering, and now only a couple are left. image
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with Registry Coin. If the previous pedigree is important, and most of the time it is, then be sure to ask PCGS to add your pedigree to the existing one(s).

Several of my Barber halves are 3 pedigrees(Price/Duckor/Friend) and my Norweb, Eliasberg, Pittman examples have remained on the slabs when pedigreed.

The provenance of the coin is more than just interesting. It is history, and may even mean a better price at sale time.

I would keep the Heller name, if I were into commems.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    Wow! I was kidding about keeping my name, but thank you very much TahoeDale!. That was very nice of you.
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Are any of the registry sets allowed to be pedigreed? I mean like something as simple as a mint set? Could someone post the guidelines for me please?

Thanks.
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I had a number of my coins pedigreed with the orginal name plus new name. For example,

Elite Cameo - Wohlforth (nickels)
    Elite Cameo - Kreuer (dimes)
    Elite Cameo - RRL (franklins)

I liked keeping the history and linkages to the other collections.
    Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    Hi p8nt. It has to do with being in the top five sets in a registry series, I believe.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Pedigree requirements:

100% complete, top 5

Sets with less than 10 coins- at PCGS discretion.

I was able to pedigree my proof gold 1864 set. But I would doubt a modern mint or proof set would qualify. It's up to the powers that be.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    Thanks for the info fellas.
    I have never had an opportunity to send a set to PCGS for pedigree, but will do so with my proof quarter sets.
    Danny Biddle Paris, KY.
  • Options
    Hi Danny. Long time... I didn't recognize your icon. It's good to see you. I, and maybe some others have been waiting patiently for you to tell us what's your overall opinion of the new (its been that long) FB designation on the roosies, if you have sucessfully re-submitted your 7s, and if you are now sitting on a vast FB hoard. I hope I am not asking for private info, or info that is duplicated. Perhaps I missed your previously posted opinions...
    inquiring minds... image
  • Options
    HELLO STEVE:
    As for the Roosy Dimes, I have not sent the first one to PCGS for full-band designation.
    Just sitting on them.
    I do have many that should grade as full-band, and probably have missed a golden opportunity
    to have some low pop ones so designated.
    One of these days, I will re-kindle my Roosey interest.
    As for now, they just sit and either increase/decrease in value. Time will tell.
    Danny
  • Options
    Cool, Danny. I know you'll do well with the quarters too. Good Luck! image