Home Stamps Forum

How much we can really trust these auctioneers?

"Perfectly centered, the best we have offered, the best extant, etc., ".....

Shreves has a 233a listed as follows:

"233a, 4c Blue Columbian, error of color, a phenomenal mint example of this high profile rarity, possessing an overall freshness and crispness unlike any other, with sensationally rich and true error color, plus its impression is extraordinarily detailed on bright clean paper, and most impressive of all is this stamp's spectacular centering amid the most immense margins of any existing example, full clean o.g., lightly hinged, extremely fine."

This is what we get in so many auction catalogs. Is it a 90, 95, or 98? Look at the SMQ and there is a big $$ diff for each level. Who wants to bet on the grade with real $$ on the table?

Which auction house is the most honest? Any opinions?

Chip

Comments

• dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Can't answer which auction house is most honest. I would hope most are. SMQ is priced for PSE graded stamps only. I see some sellers on eBay quoting prices from SMQ. I need to see if the Scott Value Supplement is near SMQ. Grading/centering is one's opinion so if a bidder wins a lot for 90 money and everyone else thought it was a 90 and then he submits to PSE and it comes back 95... bingo if he finds the right buyer. In coins, I know a lot of people will crack out coins and resubmit; often many times till they get the grade they wanted. Does this sort of thing happen in graded stamps? Its a risky venture and I guess you better know your stuff. Also, in coins, just because you have a NGC or PCGS grade, doesn't mean the buyer will agree to that grade and adjust his price accordingly. Just my thoughts.

Doug
  • DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Unfortunately I don't have much stamp auction experience. Too impatient to wait for a winning bid, settlement, invoicing, shipping, etc.

The only stamp auctions I've really used have been Regency/Superior, and mostly for worldwide stuff. For US I go retail, mostly from Posner and Armstrong. Regency's US is pretty decent usually, but old school approach. I don't usually see much grade hype from them. Strangely, though, I never seem to win US stamps at auction. Go figure. I only dabble in worldwide, just classic era stuff that appeals to me, and I usually do fine on Regency in that material.

I know a lot of coin guys have issues with Heritage, but I've done fine with them, and would love to see them expand into stamps. They've got the buying power and web resources to be a good 'routine source' for lots of philatelic material. Maybe some day?
  • Any links for stamp auctions?

Jerry
  • dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Here are a few links to stamp auctions:

Sandafayre
    Vance
    Regency/Superior They also have link of www.stamphall.com which has their smaller auctions.
    Shreves

Do a web search on stamp auctions and you will find lots of them.
  • Thanks, I use to really enjoy the mail bid auctions I found in Linn's. I will be getting a new subscription for it now. I did find this one a couple months ago American Coin and Stamp Brokerage, Inc.

Jerry