Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Suggestion for Satin Finish Coins in Registry Sets

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, what do you all think of this:

It seems quite apparent that the SF Coins will be easier to get in higher grades than regular circulation strikes. In an attempt to keep from having to have duplicte coins in our sets I propose the following.

#1 - allow either coin in the registry set

#2 - in an attempt to level out the playing field change the weighting between Satin Finish Coins and Regular Circulation Strikes. Maybe a 2 point bonus for regular circulation coins grading the same as a Satin Coin. In my suggestion an MS67 circulation strike coin would have the same points as a MS69SF Coin.

Jst my 2 cents!!! (Satin Finish of course)

GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary: IMHO, that weighting would make little sense as a regular issue MS68 CA(p) or (d), for example, does not come close to the difficulty of a SF MS70 specimen. Agree?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Gary:

I definitely agree with Gary that both the regular finish and the satin finish coins should be allowed in the registry set and that all four coins should not be required for each year. Adding 4 coins per year would just be stupid, IMHO.

When news was released about the new "satin finish" on coins, the first question I asked myself was "Why would the SF coins be included in what PCGS calls their "circulation strike registry sets" IF they are not REALLY circulation strike coins?" Of course you could cut out a coin from a mint set and use it in circulation but they were NOT intended for circulation, correct??????

I feel that the quality of the coins has improved tenfold.....which will make collectors (like myself) seek out the PQ+++ Satin Finish coins. Obviously what this has also done is put a premium on the regular circulation strike coins...because like you said Gary....it is MUCH harder to locate the regular strikes in 68RD & 69RD now.

As far as the weighting thing goes, they should leave the weight the way it is...and we will just see higher grades all around from here on out..thanks to our new Satin Finish specimens. It seems to me that the prices for the 69RD's will be where the 68RD's were last year, the 68's where the 67's were and so on down the line.

Lastly, who would have ever thought that PCGS would grade a MS70 Lincoln? My guess is that if PCGS graded one THAT quick...there are PLENTY more to come. Someone who pays a huge sum of cash for that MS70 now is going to regret it later. Especially if more 70's roll out of PCGS.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, Mitch is right. My weighting suggestion wouldn't work as stated. I just HATE the idea of adding double coins to all my sets from here on out.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary: Understand that I am also not advocating the required (20) coins (one way or the other). Perhaps a single bonus point between the (2) types might be worth exploring? Or, no weight differences with everyone needing all (20) coins? Or, optional coins in the (10) slots (preventing submission abuse of submittors mixing in SF coins with non-SF coins in regular submission batches)? We agree, this is a very tricky and difficult issue.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    solidsolid Posts: 2,975
    I don't participate in any late-modern registries, but it seems to me that there are really
    three types of coins available from the mint now, Business-strike MS, Satin Mint Sets and
    Proof sets.

Why not create a new set for 2005-forward Satin Finish coins?

Ken
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    image may be a good idea.
  • Options
    Like it or not there are 3 different types of coins being minted now. While many people probably opted to keep only the SMS coins of 1965-1967 (instead of keeping both regular circulation strike coins and SMS coins), in the end these coins have been recognized for their differences.

If you want to collect uncirculated specimens they will not be found in mint sets, at least not in 2005. The question in my mind is should the Satin Finish coins be in the Mint State Registry set, the Proof set, or a set all their own.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    Will this is my simple take on this, I'm not allowed to put aSMS coin from 65 - 67 in my Kennedy circ set and these were nouthing more the what we have now from the mint. Circ coins with a better finish then what is put in circulation. I collect mine in 66 and will not go out and get a satin finish for my set because I feel that this is no different then a SMS coin. Make a set for all the Satin finish coins.
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves