Home Stamps Forum
Options

Mystic Stamp Company

I like them. Their prices are very good, especially on common material. (For example, many used commons are only 15c, instead of the Scott minimum of 20c) I even picked up a used #65 (Civil War era!) for only three bucks! Their shipping charges are reasonable (only about $2 if you are just ordering stamps), and one thing I really hate about Internet/mail order business is high shipping charges!

Customer service is very good as well. Once, I got $40 and $20 approvals shipments. I didn't want any of the stamps, so I sent them all back. (I know I had!). They lost track of them in processing. (either that, or the Post Office lost them) The customer service reps were very understanding when I explained this.

Also, I once ordered a used 29c Boar stamp (Scott #2875) to help complete my Lunar New Year series (http://www.geocities.com/alangilfoy/stamp_albums/Album_1/Page42.html), and they happened to be out of used #2,875's. They sent me a mint #2,875, priced a buck higher, at no additional charge. [I tore it slightly when removing a strip of salvage! D'oh!)

Their stamps don't have flaws, unless the ad clearly states 'minor flaws'.

Your thoughts?

Odd, with their sister coin company, Littleton Coin, the coin prices are ridiculous!

Comments

• Options
    I also have used Mystic and like them. I have been using the approval service and like it very much. Their catalog is also very helpful.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Mystic is usually marketed towards beginners or for people who don't have stamp stores near by. They are overpriced like many large mail order houses. They do put out a nice catalog for the beginner and put out lots of advertising so they need to recoup their marketing dollars. As you become more experienced, you will find the same stamp a lot cheaper and in better condition. There are other things to consider besides just being fault-free; such as centering, gum disturbance, extent of hinge marks, etc... They do have some very high priced items and you would think any knowledgeable collector wouldn't be doing business there, but some do for whatever reason. Same thing goes for Shop At Home Network for coins. They are overpriced, and they have some high dollar stuff, but they seem to have the rich customers; like the one that paid $35,000 for a certified MS70 SAE set.

All of us probably started out with these firms; either it be Mystic, Jamestown, Harris, or someone else. We all had to get our start somewhere and learn. Heck, I hate to admit it, but I recently signed up for these "large mail order" approvals again. They usually send out a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff and since I have coin collector blood in me, I'm cherry pick'n to find a rarity. It hasn't happened and probably won't, but I get enjoyment going though packets of stamps for just the cost of return postage.
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    As much as I'd like, I have a hard time completely hating Mystic and Littleton. They probably do more than any other companies to bring in new collectors to stamps and coins. As many have stated their service is second to none, and their catalogs are very well put together.

I just really, really hate their pricing practices. Can't they be a little more in line with the rest of the market? As stated above, on lesser priced material it really makes no difference, but buying high dollar anything from them can be downright hazardous to your health. I just see too many newer collectors branching out to other dealers, or guying to sell, and being really unhappy when they realize how much they've overpaid.