Home Q & A Forum
Options

Top tier grading services

MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
David:

In the years since PCGS started, many grading services have come and gone. Some were started by prominent dealers but still they failed. I suspect that the consistency of PCGS grading played a role in the survival and prospering of PCGS. What other factors do you think were (are) key to why PCGS has done so well in the market?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

P.S.: Great top mangement for PCGS is already a given, so you don't need to bring up this reason!! ( image )
Mark

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Hi Mark,

I believe PCGS has remained the most respected grading service because we have the most conservative standards. i believe the other services choose a market niche by deciding how loose they want to be compared to other services standards...a little bit loose, or a whole lot loose. I feel there is probably no reason to submitt coins to a grading service that grades as conservative as PCGS and I believe owners of other grading services know that, so they grade either a tiny bit or a lot looser than PCGS in order to give the submitter a reason to submitt to PCGS.

There are other factors, such as turn around time, but most large volume submitters care most about the final grade. Buyers on the other hand, at least the really knowledgeable ones, care about the quality of the coin in the holder, and that's why most sophisticated collectors prefer PCGS.

My opinion...anyway.

Thanks,

David