Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Jefferson Crossover Opinions?

I have two NGC MS67 FS Jefferson nickels that I was thinking about trying to crossover to PCGS. I am having a tough time taking good closeups of the coins, are these photographs good enough for anyone to give an opinion?

Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    IMO, both would be PCGS MS66'sFS. PCGS, at least now, requires near pristine surfaces for 67. No visible ticks to the unaided eye unless they are well hidden
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never crossed an NGC-graded Jeff into a PCGS holder at the same grade, regardless of whether I submitted the coin raw or in the holder, and a fellow Jeff collector friend of mine is one for 20. Our opinion is that NGC overgrades Jeffs by one point compared to PCGS.... and they're very consistent about it.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I would guess the 40D would grade MS66 or 67 with FS. The 44D would grade MS66 not FS. I also agree NGC is about 1 point higher on jeffersons.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with those who said the coin needed to be pretty clean to grade MS67.
    Here's something I've been working on for awhile. Enjoy the pictures!

More Jefferson nickels!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Leo - that is great. I love your set. My keyboard is covered in drool.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leo:

Awesome blog, and a GREAT resource for grading Jeffs!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    The 40-D looks like mine, MS66FS, PCGS, busted out of an ANACS MS67FS. Clean, but not as strong a strike as I would like in an MS67.
    The 44-D, doesn't look mark free in the left obverse field. Looks heavy orange peel, not a bad thing in itself. Just seems to lack MS67 clean fields.

Well, my opinion

Well, I have a couple that would receive extra consideration since purchase. I wouldn't send in hoping for a cross, even though they are in a PCGS holder.

"66" grades, but not the "67" hopefulls.

Bob