Home Stamps Forum
Options

JFK stamps & FD Covers

Hi all,
I have a sheet (50) stamps 5 cents of JFK that say "and the glow from the fire can truly light the world" John Fitzgerald Kennedy 1917 - 1963, just wondering if these have much value. Also i came across a bunch of postally used first day covers from US & UK. Any potential here? Thanks in advance, Karlimage

Comments

• Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Sounds like the 1964 Kennedy Memorial Issue. It's a 5c blue gray commemorative, released May 29, 1964, Scott catalog #1246. According to my 2005 Scott US Specialized Catalog 511,750,000 were issued (printed) and it's worth around $0.20 for a Mint single and $0.60 for a mint plate block. Those are minimum (assigned) catalog values.

Unfortunately, most US Stamps issued since around the mid to late 1930's to date really aren't worth very much. While the Kennedy issue was printed in higher numbers than most commemoratives of the time, most were still printed to the tune of 100 million+. I'm not sure of any (if any) premium that may be attached to a full sheet of this issue, as Kennedy items are popular with many collectors, but I buy full sheets of mint US from this era for around 95% of face value to use on my mail. image

As for F the FDC's, it's basically the same scenario, with most US FDC's from the 1950's and later having the minimum catalog value of $1.00. FDC's from the 20's to 40's have higher values, but still mostly only in the $4-$20 range.

Don't be discouraged by low catalog values, though. Many collectors actively assemble collections of modern US stamps and covers. There is much fun to be had seeking plate number coils, pleasing cachets on FDC's by a favorite artist, precancels and tagging varieties, errors freaks and oddities (printing errors, basically). Not my area in particular, but there are many out there.

Unfortunately, I know very little about foreign stamps and covers, but maybe someone else here can help?