Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mercury Dime Heads: I need advice on 26s and 27s bands

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a batch of coins that I had graded at the 2002 FUN show, where the graders hurt my feelings!image

I felt that these two coins had a shot at an FB designation, but I was denied.

The first is a 26-s in a PCGS MS64 holder. The second is a 27-s in a PCGS MS64 holder.

What are your thoughts about resumbitting? I have been thinking of selling these two so I can pump the money into another registry set. Should I sell as is or take another shot at the designation?

imageimage
Doug

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look full bands to me I would crack them out and resubmit them

if you are selling them I maybe interestedimage

I will PM you also
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Doug, I like your chances on the first (left) one quite a bit better than on the (right) second one. But, if you are going to resubmit either or both, I'd recommend leaving them in their hoilders and using the "designation review" option.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinguy1 (Mark):

All I can see from Doug's post are two red x's... image

But, is your advice to leave the coins in the slab for a designation review the advice you always give or is it conditional on your bring able to see the pictures of the coins?

Mark (Mark) image
    Mark

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>But, is your advice to leave the coins in the slab for a designation review the advice you always give or is it conditional on your bring able to see the pictures of the coins? >>

Mark, I could see the images when I posted (edited to add: though I can't now) and still gave (and would give) that advice. Whenever you crack coins out of holders to resubmit them, you have downside. I don't think there is any need to risk it when you can resubmit for designation review in the holders.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im with Mark,two red x's.
    Al
  • Options
    Sorry about the red x's. I don't really know where else to host pics other than Yahoo.

I'm pretty happy with the 64 grade on them. Mark you are right, the 26-S has a better chance of hitting full bands. On the 27-s, there is a slight ding on the right side of the bands that crosses the gap. That may have been the kiss of death on that one. However, there is no such hit on the 26-s. It's just a shade weak on the left side, but the bands look pretty complete to me. Then again -- I'm no expert, so that's why I was asking.

Doug
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do know there is a difference between FSB,and Split bands,not sure if that would keep it out of the FSB disignation.
    Al
  • Options
    Here's an up close of the bands on the 26-s:
    Doug
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just by from what I see the 26S will not make full bands. PCGS likes to see the sides of the middle band to be real sharp. The right side of this coin would fit the description but the left side appears to be quite weak. Also on the left side there appears to be some minor hits. I have in the past seen a coin that looks like this get a full band designation but the coin was not a semi key like the 26S you have shown. It does make a difference, the date.

JMHO.

Ken
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken is right, about the key's and semi-keys. I have a 41-S, 44-D (not part of my collection) that don't look nearly as good as your 26-S...in fact their NB coins period, yet they somehow got the FB designation. They were probably submitted as a bulk lot (for those of you who know what that means), where PCGS has an incentive to ensure that each coin meets the minimum grading/slabbing (to get their fee).

Even this 35-S went NB (still baffles my mind):

imageimage

BTW...they are very tough on Mercs this year, or better said -- incredibly inconsistent. It is if there are 2 different shifts of graders. One shift that look at each glass as half empty, and the other shift looks at each glass as half full.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a picture of a coin that did not get full bands. The middle part of the middle band looks stronger than yours but the weakness at the edges prevented the full band designation. Its a 19D so the lack of the designation was quite predictable.

Ken
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will add only if these dimes were NB's in 2002 you have a very slim chance in 2005 of getting anything better period!

Good luck

Marc
  • Options
    will not get fullbands, they don't look complete to me,
    and a big price difference in a 26s in 64nb and 64fb
    tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb