Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Faded Memories

It's 6:00 a.m. driving into work on a nice sunny morning on July 1, 2005. Flip the radio station to the 70s station on the XM satellite radio. Hear some songs, Best of My Love - The Eagles, Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks, the mind now begins to wonder. Wait, I am in the back seat of my mom's 1974 Pontiac Ventura heading up to the local Kresege. I have money in hand anticipating the purchase of some baseball cards. Get to the store, stupid Topps, raised the price from 10 cents to 25 cents, buy 4 packs instead of ten. Get home time to rip them open on the bed. Have to seperate the cards out by teams, these cards are really different this year, smaller than last years cards and much more color to them, what has Topps done? Have to stack up my Tigers and take any doubles with me to school so I can trade at recess time. Put any extras into my Topp Locker card storage unit. It is recess time, stupid transistor radio, barely getting the Tigers game on WJR 76. Ernie Harwell's voice is hardley audible. Start to do some trading looking for that Kaline. Wait a minute, after checking and checking we realize there is only a highlight card for him! OOOOOOOps my hand has slipped, what is that I hear, Avril Lavigne on the radio? MMMM, 30 year come and gone like a warm summer breeze.

Random musings from,

Stingray

Comments

• Options
    Great post. I rememeber opening 1978 Topps wax packs at I believe .20 cents a pack. We would pay for the packs with pennies on occasion.
  • Options
    How many of those '75 mini's did you buy Stingray? For me it's 1973 in the front seat of my dad's Plymouth Scamp. My dad about wrecked the car when I pulled the Roberto Clemente. He was a die-hard Pirates fan.

Shannon
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I remember every Saturday starting in 1974 that my Mom would give me $1.00 to buy 10 packs of Topps cards as long as my grades were good and I did my chores around the house. She did this for me until I thought I was too old for it (around 1978). Not to bum everybody out, but I wish I could thank her for doing that today but she is no longer with us. I would encourage all of you who had people in their lives to thank them this weekend, when you gather to celebrate our great country, for getting us addicted to this hobby. You may want to leave out the part about how much we spend on cards now. Oh yea, I would also stay away from this question, "Mom, what happened to all the cards I had?"
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

1983's for me... I wish they were a dime. I tihnk the wax packs were $.29 and the cellos were $.49. I used to ride my bike to the local pharmacy and get a few packs and either one of the long jolly ranchers or a green river from the soda fountain. For some reason Jody Davis was my favorite player but I was excited to get any Cubs player. I also remeber getting the sticker yearbook and buying those packs in an attempt to fill my book. I remeber on the inside cover there was the complete standings from the year before and I would study that all the time. Those days were so much less complicated. I wish I could be 8 again. I also wish I could be 18 again but that is for way different reasons...
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    1st pack: 1982 Donruss, which contained Kent Hrbek and Ron Guidry

2nd pack: 1982 Donruss from an ice cream man in San Francisco. Contained a coveted Nolan Ryan that I have to this day, with all the creases and wear of idolship over the past 23 years.

Last pack I ever purchased: 1988 Topps, in 1988. Nobody of significance.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    For me it was finding enough pop bottles to turn in so I could grab a pack or two of '79s in search of Rod Carew.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time......

August 1970. Sneak across Montana Ave, a street that was too busy for me to be allowed to cross. A dime burning a hole in my pocket. Decisions, decisions. 2 packs of Odd Rods, or 1 pack of baseball cards. Flip the coin, heads for baseball. Hope the coin doesn't roll under the rack. Baseball, this time. Step outside the store, rip the pack. Stuff the gum in my mouth, flip thru the cards- got 'em , got 'em, need 'em, got 'em , need 'em, HEY! JIM PALMER!, got 'em (this guy Williams has no neck at all!), Santo All star, cool!, need 'em. Now the scratchoff, while walking home. Stash the cards since mom knows we'd have to cross Montana, sneak the doubles off to trade.
    Summer never seemed to end back then.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I must be older than you all. I remember walking all of about 12 blocks to one of the two stores that sold baseball cards (I grew up in a town of 4,000). This was 1966-ish. One nickle per pack of 5. We would buy 10 packs or so and then open one after every block home and trade. The key was to make a trade that you wouldnt regret two blocks down the way after you opened your next pack and got the card you just traded for. If I remember correctly, we tore up and threw away every checklist we got. Fun times.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Put any extras into my Topp Locker card storage unit. >>

I had one of those too! I remember ordering it from the label on the back of a pack of cards...they sold similar ones in the stores, but no - I had to have the "real" Topps one! Those were good days...
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    i remember begging my parents to take me to the stationary store so i can dump some quarters on wacky packages....then i remember going to school with all my trade bait so i could complete the set.

i believe "Copper bones"

was the last one i needed and i made the trade like a criminal in the boys bathroom so the teachers couldnt see the trade

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinspacks
    i remember begging my parents to take me to the stationary store so i can dump some quarters on wacky packages....then i remember going to school with all my trade bait so i could complete the set.
    i believe "Copper bones"
    was the last one i needed and i made the trade like a criminal in the boys bathroom so the teachers couldnt see the trade

I don't know anyone who remembers buying 16th series wacky packs. They were barely distributed. My last series was 7.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    So it isn't just me seeing some of these old threads on the first page of this board??
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stingray
    So it isn't just me seeing some of these old threads on the first page of this board??

Bunt has been busy bumping threads and then deleting his comments, exploiting a flaw in the thread sequencing software.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul

Originally posted by: coinspacks

i believe "Copper bones"

I don't know anyone who remembers buying 16th series wacky packs. They were barely distributed. My last series was 7.

Grew up close to the factory and I guess it made it easier.