Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for american coins

Hello,
I am from India and a great lover of american coins. I have bought some from ebay but its always not affordable. Here in India the coin collection is not a popular hobby so difficult to get american coins. If anyone have some spare coins that he want to giveaway or can give to a fellow collector at low cost, please reply back.

I collect all sort of USA coins. Old, state quarters, proof and mint sets, will like to collect error coins also if possible.

Thanks,
Nanda

Comments

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    From the USPS site - looks like coins are prohibited to be shipped to India...

Country Conditions for Mailing - India
    Prohibitions (130)

Appliances (including pistols, pistol pencils, etc.) for discharging gas, except on behalf of the Government.

Arms and military equipment, except for the Indian Government.

Articles of gold or silver.

Coins; banknotes; currency notes; traveler's checks; securities payable to bearer; precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles.

Coins or ingots exceeding 65 rupees in value, except coins obviously intended for ornament.

Consumer electronic items, (except hearing aids and life-saving equipment, apparatus, and appliances and parts thereof). Shipments containing these goods up to the value of 200 Indian rupees (gift value) are at present released after the words "Released on caution" have been stamped on the item.

Radioactive materials.

• Options
    Coins for collection is not probihitted.
  • Options
    Still looking !!!!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the USPS site - looks like coins are prohibited to be shipped to India...

Country Conditions for Mailing - India
    Prohibitions (130)

Appliances (including pistols, pistol pencils, etc.) for discharging gas, except on behalf of the Government.

Arms and military equipment, except for the Indian Government.

Articles of gold or silver.

Coins; banknotes; currency notes; traveler's checks; securities payable to bearer; precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles.

Coins or ingots exceeding 65 rupees in value, except coins obviously intended for ornament.

Consumer electronic items, (except hearing aids and life-saving equipment, apparatus, and appliances and parts thereof). Shipments containing these goods up to the value of 200 Indian rupees (gift value) are at present released after the words "Released on caution" have been stamped on the item.

Radioactive materials. >>

I sent Nanda some coins awhile back, and the Post Office had me write 'coins for ornament' on the customs slip, then off they went!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    No replies yet....
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    you are a stand up lady lucy

i am happy you sent nanda the coins!!

nanda give me your address and i will send you something in the mail

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    nanda,

Why don't you tell us about your favorite US coins and why you love them.
  • Options
    My favourite coin is coins with Liberty picture, like Morgan Dollar, Walking Liberty Half Dollar, Silver eagles, Peace Dollar, barbar coins. I like them because of the design.

Bye,
    Nanda
  • Options
    i will send you something by air mail tomorrow nanda as per the address you gave me in the pm

good luck with your collecting
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Glad I found this thread. At first I just had a PM from someone I had never heard of and It made me mighty suspiscious.

Now I see that it's not a scam.

You'll need to PM me your address. I'll see what I can do.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Just got the same PM.image
  • Options
    I think PM is better to approach someone as running a thread may be disturbing for many.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think PM is better to approach someone as running a thread may be disturbing for many. >>

That's funny, your PM had just the opposite effect on me. image

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not want it here, nor do I want it by PM. Try the giveaway board. image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I do not know Nanda, but this sounds like deja vu. I believe I read where forum members had received private messages from Nanda on this subject a couple years or so ago.
  • Options
    I got a pm from nanda as well- is this person legit or is it a game?

• Options
    Received the same PM here.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not want it here, nor do I want it by PM. Try the giveaway board. image >>

I had compassion for Nanda, I don't think he means any harm. He isn't a regular poster that is familiar with the rules of the forums..

I am not debating if this is the proper place for this thread, but Nanda may not even be aware of the other board...

When I was at Intel we hired a Engineer into our group with the name Viju, whom was from India....

Viju was fresh from college with a Masters degree, I asked him about coins and coin collecting, and it puzzled him.
    He told me that to collect coins was rare from his part of India and that he personaly never saw US coins available as collectibles anywhere.

Knowing this when I saw Nanda post some time ago as Coinguy1 correctly points out, I for one wanted to send Nanda some stuff,
    I remember sending him Frankies though......

I honestly don't believe that Nanda means offense to anyone, what we have is a cultural gap as well as a language gap..
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>what we have is a cultural gap as well as a language gap.. >>

... or a nicely structured scam.

PS- I received the same PM this morning.
  • Options
    Here are two old threads on this topic, the first by a poster complaining about receiving spam in private messages and the second, by Nanda, explaining things - I have not read them and am not taking sides:

Thread 1

Thread 2
  • Options
    Well, I have no regrets sharing with Nanda, and if for some reason it was a scam, I didn't send him anything he was going to become rich with, but i did send him some slabb'd and raw Frankies that were mint state and nice examples of our coins.

And Nanda sent me a lovely pm thanking me, though it makes even my English look proper.. image

I see his problem in aquiring American coins, how many of us will ship to India on our ebay auctions? I know I don't....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>what we have is a cultural gap as well as a language gap.. >>

... or a nicely structured scam.

PS- I received the same PM this morning. >>

It's such a shame that in todays world this is the 1st thought.... Not saying that I blame you for feeling this way...

It's just to bad that with all the scams and flim-flams that do occur, somebody is suspect right away...

When I first joined this board, there were many thatl doubted I was even a lady....

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to chime in, I got the PM last night too.
  • Options
    I recall this as well.

Although I don't think it is necessarily a scam, it does appear to be quite forward.

How about "I have a great interest in US Coins and would like to collect some. I would be willing to send coinage or paper money from India, which may be unique in your country in exchange for US Coins."

That would strike me as being more appropriate.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    As an aside, the several "no replies yet" strike me as very abrupt and would give me less inclination to respond.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options

<< <i>As an aside, the several "no replies yet" strike me as very abrupt and would give me less inclination to respond. >>

The subject expecting handouts (Or at least very clearly 'appearing' to) is what would stop me from doing so in this case.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about "I have a great interest in US Coins and would like to collect some. I would be willing to send coinage or paper money from India, which may be unique in your country in exchange for US Coins."

Seems very reasonable. I am also taken aback by the forwardness (I have received a PM, as well), but I do not think that this is a scam or someone of ill-intent.
  • Options
    nanda, here's another suggestion. After watching my son build a very interesting and diverse collection through the generous giveaways offered here on the boards why don't you do that? Enter a few. It may take longer than awkwardly asking (demanding/begging) for handouts and freebies in solititious Pm's and threads but as the old saying goes, "beggers can't be choosers".

There are a lot, I mean A LOT of generous good willed people on these boards who are more than willing to help a new collector out, BUT your appraoch, I'm affraid will only result in the opposite effect than you had hoped. Just my 2¢

Good luck with your endeavor. image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    i didn't get the PM, I feel left out.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>i didn't get the PM, I feel left out.image >>

pm sent!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    For the record, I too received the PM.

Here is my take, first off, this reminds me of the rash of kids that came in here begging for coins, then they all disappeared once they received many packages. Then this reminds me of the guy that sent PM's to everyone asking for money to fix his teeth (I'm sure many of you old times remember him).

On, Aug 04, 2004 he states:

<< <i>"USA coins are something that can make anyone crazy like it made me. Now i have about 175 USA coins. 36 different types other than the state quarters. You know i have all the 25 state quarters that will be minted by the end of this year and 36 other different USA coins. Also a error coin. I see my USA coin album once a twice every day. These coins are really beautiful.

Wanted to share my happiness about USA coins.
    Bye,
    Nanda" >>

After searching through a few posts from Nanda, it looks as though this is a legit coin collecting endeavor. However, as already noted, there is to much room for something fishy to be happening. As Nanda stated many times, coins are hard to get while in India, this may be true, so, with out generous gifts, he may be cornering the market on sales over there making a killing off our freebies. Is this what you expect when giving free coins to Nanda?

The PM I received this morning said this:

<< <i> Hello,
    I am from India and a great lover of coins from USA. I have tried to collect few but its difficult getting those coins here. It would be great if you would like to help a fellow collector with some coins. I don't collect slabbed or coins with high grade, just simple raw coins will do.

PM me if you can help me out.

Thanks,
    Nanda >>

This says to me that he is new to collecting and he does not have any as he states, "I have tried to collect few but its difficult getting those coins here." As stated above, 175 is hardly considered a few. This is my first point of deception.

Here's a tall order in 2003:

<< <i> Friday July 11, 2003 7:11 AM

Who have any of these extra in raw grades:

Flying Eagle Cent
    Seated Liberty (Half Dime, Dime, Quarter, Half, Dollar) - All Variety
    20 cent
    3 cent silver - all 3 varieties
    ICH - Type I and Type II
    Standing Liberty Quarter - Type I
    High Relief Peace Dollar >>

Looks like his common set is coming along and now he's looking for the good stuff? Why then ask for simple raw coins? Maybe to sell them? Just a guess. He also states he does not collect Slabbed coin in the PM but there is a few posts with him looking for slabbed coins.

With just a few minutes of investigating I chose to not partake in whatever is going on here. There are many more examples as to why I chose not to, but I believe my point has been made.

Sorry Nanda.

Ray

PS. To the rest of you that this posts upsets, please hold your tongue in the open and bring it to the PM's.
  • Options
    Ray, private messages should remain private. It also strikes me as ironic that in your post you said

<< <i>PS. To the rest of you that this posts upsets, please hold your tongue in the open and bring it to the PM's >>

• Options

<< <i>Private messages should not be posted. >>

His Private Messages aren't exactly 'Private'. They are targetted to a mass audience on these forums to solicite free coins for himself. (Not that I'm passing judgement on the individual for doing so... ....)
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Perhaps this is just a language issue. He says that he is looking to buy stuff (at low cost).

• Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787

I know it's OT, but is this hard and fast here? I send and recieve very few PM's , and say nothing within them that I'd be unwilling to post publicly. I have recieved a few, shall we say 'less than elegant' PM's from a few who've disagreed with me, and my reply is always the same: "Say it in public. Calling me out in private is cowardly. If you feel justified in what you've said, and how you've said it, surely the posting public here will agree and support you."

Is it me?
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

Very well, I understand this, however, this same "Private message" was sent to over 10 people on Jul 5, 2005 at approximately 2:19 AM (PCGS time).

Therefor, I did not consider it a "Private Message"

Keep in mind, before you judge, being a member since (Joined: February 23rd, 2001 2:33 PM) this is the first time I've pulled something from a PM into the open.

(PS. I see the irony of me saying it's not a PM then stating I pulled it from the PM so no need to retaliate with that)

Ray
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

He's the GregTheGreat of the Asian continent.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>He's the GregTheGreat of the Asian continent. >>

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Very well, I understand this, however, this same "Private message" was sent to over 10 people on Jul 5, 2005 at approximately 2:19 AM (PCGS time). >>

Fair point Ray. I'm admittedly sensitive about this topic as I have seen some forum members post private messages (for the record, not mine) which were very different from the one you posted.
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Well. I've now gotten a follow up PM and I tend to treat people fairly until they warrant otherwise.

I'm going to go ahead and send him a few older examples of what he is looking for. Frankly, the postage may be more expensive than the value of the coins/silver content.

It never hurts to be a good samaritan. If I am being taken advantage of, so be it. My intent is pure and the value of the coins is rather insignificant.

If his intent is to scam, and I doubt that it is, then it's his Karma. Being from India, I'm sure he is very familiar with that term.

I agree with Lucy, we have both a cultural and a language barrier to overcome. A couple of very good friends of mine are Indian and I remember when they first came to America many years ago. Perhaps I just have a soft spot or a soft head, you can be the judge.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    I particpated in a swap with Nanda a couple years ago, no problems there. He sent me a nice assortment of Indian coins, I sent him some nice mid-grade raw coins. Also swapped him silver eagles once. he had one that was toning and he didn't like it. I sent him a blast white one and stuck his is an old wooden cigar box to see what would happen with the existing toning.

I don't think he's a scammer, I just think he feels that Indian coins would be highly sought after here in the states, and are good swaps for US coins. If I had any coins left other than my Dansco, I'd be willing to send him a few.
    imageimage

• Options
    imagelucyimagegacoinguyimagedeadhorseimage
  • Options

<< <i>
    I agree with Lucy, we have both a cultural and a language barrier to overcome. >>

I'm sure that's the case, but I can understand the skepticism given the tone and tenor not to mention the unexpectedness of the PM. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file