Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS slab needs cracked

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bought a shield nickel from BigD5 on ebay, for my son's type album.
Got the slab/nickel in today and wondering best/safest way to crack it....like, what might we have around the house that could safely crack it.

Thanks

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I've always wrapped the top portion with a rag and smacked the very top with a hammer and then broke the rest of it open.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, I don't have vice grips ... yet.
    I do have the hammer though...hmmmmmmmm....are you saying crack it across or from the top down?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Hammer. Wear safety glasses!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I always bust up the very top portion that contains the paper insert because if you break that, you can pull the white insert and coin out the top.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS are the easiest ones to get into. Wrap it in a rag, stand it up vertically, and bang holy heck out of the top (the end with the cert) and it will pop right open. Then just pull out the flexible white insert, bend it a little and your coin should pop right out. ANACS certs are nice too, because you can peel it up from the white insert and stick it somewhere new, like on a flip or in a type album. Then you'll still have it if you ever go to sell.
    mirabela
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do have the hammer though...hmmmmmmmm....are you saying crack it across or from the top down? >>

Just wrap it in a rag like goose3 said, hold it on the edge of a sturdy table or countertop with the label portion (top) of the slab stickin' out, and whack the top off the slab. Since you have the slab wrapped and you'll have your hand over the part with the coin while you're holdin' it down, you won't have to worry about damaging the coin. Just knock the top off of it. Easy as can be. If the inner insert part doesn't come free, you should be able to crack it the rest of the way easily enough, using needle-nosed pliers or something. But I can usually crack an ANACS slab in one hit, with the insert comin' out cleanly.

'Taint rocket science. Very easy.

Note: Craton's suggestion about safety glasses is a good one. You don't want plastic shrapnel in your eye. I speak from firsthand experience. (Though wrapping the slab in a rag first like goose suggested should keep most splinters from flying around.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    You can try shooting the plastic apart, but …

(Thanks Mr. Paseo)
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I do have the hammer though...hmmmmmmmm....are you saying crack it across or from the top down? >>

Just wrap it in a rag like goose3 said, hold it on the edge of a sturdy table or countertop with the label portion (top) of the slab stickin' out, and whack the top off the slab. Since you have the slab wrapped and you'll have your hand over the part with the coin while you're holdin' it down, you won't have to worry about damaging the coin. Just knock the top off of it. Easy as can be. If the inner insert part doesn't come free, you should be able to crack it the rest of the way easily enough, using needle-nosed pliers or something. But I can usually crack an ANACS slab in one hit, with the insert comin' out cleanly.

'Taint rocket science. Very easy.

Note: Craton's suggestion about safety glasses is a good one. You don't want plastic shrapnel in your eye. I speak from firsthand experience. (Though wrapping the slab in a rag first like goose suggested should keep most splinters from flying around.) >>

I have cracked many a slab with a hammer and that plastic can fly a good 20 feet easy!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I saw another forum member take an ANACS slab and just smack it a few times on the concrete floor of the Baltimore Conv Center and it cracked open.
  • Options
    I opened one at last summers ANA show in a few seconds with my pocket knife!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a vise or wrap it in a paper towel and tap on the edges with a hammer or mallet like you were cracking a hickory nut. Be easy and careful so as not to do smoething stupid like knock the thing out of your hand.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Endcutters are fast, efficient.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    Something like this with sharp edges is extremely quick, clean, easy and safe to use. Just snip one of the edges along the long edge of the slab and it will crack right in half. With a little luck it will take all of about two or three seconds.

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    I use Sheet metal cutters (tin snips). Make my cut half way in just under the insert, another cut half way in on the other side and then pull the slab apart.....takes about 10 seconds.
  • Options
    Dukie101Dukie101 Posts: 1,313
    I agree with the above posters who use the end cutters,snips,wire cutter,tile cutter, easier,safer for you and the coin.
    Larry
  • Options
    bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    It's almost the 4th of July. Just tape an M-80 firecracker to the slab.image

(I use a vice)
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been a few hundred different threads on the best way to crack a slab. Do a search. I've always had luck using a bench vice.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file