Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you thinks it's appropriate to include territorial gold in a U.S. type set?

If you could afford just one territorial gold piece, which would you buy for your type set? Which do you think is most interesting?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Horseman!

Tomimage
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally would stick to something a little less obscure like a Clark Gruber or Bechtler, depending on whether you like Colorado or Georgia gold.
  • Options
    The Horseman is an obscure coin in territorials?

Rare, not obscure.

TP
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom,

I was responding to the original poster, not your post, which had not been posted when I started my post (whew).

That said, I do not know what the heck The Horseman is. image
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a Mormon $5, like this PCGS AU50 in the SF ANA Signature sale.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As crude (and frankly, ugly) as they are, I would be drawn to a Bechtler or Templeton Reid issue.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Tom,

I was responding to the original poster, not your post, which had not been posted when I started my post (whew).

That said, I do not know what the heck The Horseman is. image >>

Oops, sorry.

Look under Baldwin.

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    yes include it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a 50 dollar octagon slug

or a close second

a morman gold piece dated 1849 the magic date

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Bechtler to represent the gold rush in NC and GA. A Moffat & Co (most affordable type) to represent the California gold rush, and a Clark, Gruber and Co to represent the Colorado gold and silver rush. For a person of more modest means, a California fractional gold coin (especially a Period I piece) would be a good choice.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    No, I won't do that. It is a different category to me.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i love it best post of the month

type 1 california gold fractionals

the true territorial coin OF ALL THE PEOPLE RICH AND POOR

this should be passed into law

every collector of california territorial artifacts is required to have one piece of type 1 california territorial fractional gold
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    michael said:

<< <i>.................
    this should be passed into law...........
    every collector of california territorial artifacts is required to have one piece of type 1 california territorial fractional gold >>

That is very good Michael and quite humourous too!

I agree and to just make this suggestion more specific, a 25c, 50c and even $1 Cal fractional dated 1853-1856 (the true type I's) would be great. But even those in nicer grades can get expensive so you might want to consider a type II (1857- 1882) as a temporary substitute for the type I's. Demand is strong on those as well so they are easy to trade or sell.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>i love it best post of the month

type 1 california gold fractionals

the true territorial coin OF ALL THE PEOPLE RICH AND POOR

this should be passed into law

every collector of california territorial artifacts is required to have one piece of type 1 california territorial fractional gold >>

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    Even though I don't own (or plan on owning) any it will still be hard to choose just one.

I like the Mormon gold with the image and the Colorado pieces with the mountain.

I also like the Indian on the Cincinnati Mining Company.

But if I had to choose just one, I guess it would be one of the Moffat octagon pieces.

Edited to conform to the English Language, and also not to offend Mormon's by a typo excluding the second "m"
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    For most people it comes down to what they can afford. Most of the coins mentioned so far are five figure coins. They are great if you can afford them but most board members can't. The California fractional pieces start at a few hundred dollars and have all the history of their more expensive relatives.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25c Cal fractionals can go for even less than $100 if you shop carefully, yes even the slabbed ones.

keep in mind that slabbed 25c Cal fractionals are better than non slabbed ones.

Why?

Try looking for a misplaced 25c Cal fractional that is NOT slabbed! You will "see" my point.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file