Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I love my Dremel

I just received my dremel in the mail today. I buzzed through a couple of slabs like a knife through butter. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store

Comments

• Options
    dremels rock! i used one a couple of years ago to help build a p3 computer out of an old nintendo. home dental work with one is not recommended however.

brian
  • Options
    Which dremel drill is it? There seem to be different models... How much $?
    danke
  • Options

<< <i>Which dremel drill is it? There seem to be different models... How much $?
    danke >>

dremels can range from $20 to several hundred. mine's a mini-cordless model - i got it at walmart for $25. the more expensive ones have longer battery life (i can use mine for 5-10 min before needing recharge), and they can go to higher rpm, but cutting plastic slabs doesn't require much power. there are literally thousands of accessories for them - but the most important is the cutting one. it looks like this

brian
  • Options
    Do you cut along the edges, or at the seams? I have a few cards that were graded by bad companies (before I knew any better) and I'd like to take a look at them and see what I really have.
    building raw FB sets, 59-72, 74-77
    basketball 69/70-75/76, baseball 1974
    ExMt or better, lot of trading material.
  • Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    I bought the Dremel at Tyler Tool Tyler Tool for $34.95. I also bought an extra set of the cutting wheels for $12.

To open the slabs you just cut the top off just below the seam in the top portion of the grade label. You then stick a flat head screwdriver between the two pieces to open the slab enough to grab it with your fingers. You then gently pull a part. It could not be easier.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    I just used my dremel yesterday on some bgs slabs. I cut the corners off and use a flat head screwdriver to pry the slab apart. Watch out though. Those cutting wheels are pretty weak. I have had several just fly apart during the cutting process. Its probably a good idea to not cut the slab all at once to limit the heat being generated from cutting thus prolonging the cutting wheel life.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    My dremel lost its chargeable battery so I need a new one.

Another use you might want to pass on is to use it to cut through an ingrown toenail. Just take my word for it.
  • Options
    Please wear safety glasses boys! Looks like the cutting wheel i use in my dotco at work.

Ben