Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What a difference good pictures and a $1 starting bid can make!

moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
I tried to sell this coin in three different auctions before it finally sold. imageFirst Auction Link. In this auction Second Auction (by the person who bought the coin from me) it sold for almost twice as much.image I think it was the pictures and the low starting bid. Anyone else have this kind of experience?

Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• Options
    High starting bids (And reserves) scare bidders away... nice pictures also attract bidders...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it was the pictures and the low starting bid. >>

Sometimes it defies logic, though. Luck of the draw, and all that stuff.

I'll never forget takin' a beating on one coin I listed. I actually wasted money "featuring" the auction (first and last time), my coin was certified MS63 RB (it was a 1799 Brit halfpenny), and it had a lot of red. I think I started it at one cent.

Somebody else with a much browner raw coin (maybe even a slider), and a higher starting bid, who didn't waste money "featuring" their auction, ended up getting almost twice as many bids on their coin, and a much higher closing price. Our pictures were about equal (neither terrific nor awful). I had a higher feedback rating than he did but not by much.

Both were nice coins, but mine was definitely nicer, and slabbed, and redder, etc. Go figure. You never can tell.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file