Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A VERY nice Toned Morgan

Picked this up at Central States - Paid a "Little" too much image - but one of those coins that when you see it, you just have to own it! (It's even nicer in hand! image

So the question is: Would it upgrade if I dipped it? image

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
Newmismatist

Comments

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    If you dip that coin I will imageimageimageimage

Leave it alone. It is gorgeous! image

I know you wouldn't dare dip that treasure but just the thought of it made me a little image

imageimage

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Very vibrant looking color.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    The pictures look pretty tweaked- is there a photo with less contrast? Is it raw or slabbed? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭

<< <i>The pictures look pretty tweaked- is there a photo with less contrast? Is it raw or slabbed? image >>

I didn't do the images - but I don't think they are tweaked - I'm probably going to have Poorguy re-image it for me as the coin is really much nicer than the image - It's slabbed - care to guess by which TPGS and what they graded it?

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Those pictures look like they were done in MartyVision(tm).
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    NICE!!!!

67?
  • Options
    yeah, those pix suck.
  • Options
    COOL
  • Options

<< <i>Picked this up at Central States - Paid a "Little" too much image - but one of those coins that when you see it, you just have to own it! (It's even nicer in hand! image

So the question is: Would it upgrade if I dipped it? image

image >>

I recently had the pleasure of seeing this coin for several days, and The picture does not do this coin justice, The coin is much better in hand. This is one of those coins you see in person and you start trying to figure out "how am I going to own this coin". Coins of this caliper only come along once in a while, and always command Top Dollar. I also know that Newmismatist would have people standing in line if he choose to sell this MONSTER. I know I would be in line.
    Michael
  • Options
    So what is the plastic type, and what is the grade?

I'm not doubting you that the coin looks fantastic- but the picture really does look altered and overcontrasted- I would like to see some photos done like K6AZ's photography.... image
  • Options

<< <i>So what is the plastic type, and what is the grade?

I'm not doubting you that the coin looks fantastic- but the picture really does look altered and overcontrasted- I would like to see some photos done like K6AZ's photography.... image >>

It is an ms67 graded by PCGS, It is a most probable upgrade candidate to 68. I would bet it makes 68. If this coin is altered or overcontrasted, IT WAS DONE BY NATURE
    Michael
  • Options
    Spiffy469Spiffy469 Posts: 661 ✭✭
    gorgeous

Jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe what we have here is some members spoiled by some of the great photography a few members have produced on this forum.
    That said, this looks like an image from Island coins and I believe they use a scanner. Sometimes we just do the best we can.

YUP, I still use a scanner and some of the comments in this thread is why you rarely see me post images anymore. Too many...
    "Photo Connoisseurs" around this place lately.image It's a Virtual world here folks not a perfect one. OK, as you were.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Here is pics of my lowly scanned coin.

• Options

<< <i>I believe what we have here is some members spoiled by some of the great photography a few members have produced on this forum.
    That said, this looks like an image from Island coins and I believe they use a scanner. Sometimes we just do the best we can.

YUP, I still use a scanner and some of the comments in this thread is why you rarely see me post images anymore. Too many...
    "Photo Connoisseurs" around this place lately.image It's a Virtual world here folks not a perfect one. OK, as you were.image >>

I believe that the image is a scanned image - the colors are pretty accurate - but they are much bighter, and very lusterous - I''ll probably get digital photographic images between now and ANA - when I get them, I'll post them and you can compare - The best way to describe this coin is as Fountinheadgold indicated: - when you have it in hand it's one of those coins that is a "I've got to own THIS coin" I held 2 toned MS68s at the Mid-America show in Chicago - this coin is technically as nice or nicer than either of the MS68s and the toning is, well, let's just say "Spectacular" !

Newmismatist
  • Options
    Great coin Ron.....my favorite toning pattern!!!! I can't wait to get to see that coin in person.....no mater what plastic she's in image
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    It probably would upgrade if you dipped it. But why do that and destroy that beautifully toned Morgan??

TorinoCobra71

• Options

<< <i>It probably would upgrade if you dipped it. >>

I sure do disagree with this. IMHO, the only chance a coin like that has for an upgrade IS the toning. That toning is "out of this world" gorgeous and a coin with eye-appeal as strong as that, has an incredibly high chance of being "blessed" with a 68! Dip it, and it loses its' uniqueness, natural superlative surfaces, and eye appeal.

BTW, I'm still looking for one nicely toned Morgan for my collection and that is exactly what I'm looking for.image
  • Options

<< <i>It probably would upgrade if you dipped it. But why do that and destroy that beautifully toned Morgan??

TorinoCobra71 >>

Looks like I shoulda added the "winky" icon! image

Newmismatist
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to send that Morgan to me so I can rub that nasty tarnish off.

Beauty. Congrats!!!
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    If the surfaces are near flawless and the luster/strike is great, it certainly has the EYE-APPEAL in spades to go MS-68. Really a rare example so nice.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    You know actually, that Morgan has some "damaged" and "tarnished" surfaces. You really should try to sell it a.s.a.p. Since I'm currently in a generous mood, I'd be willing to relieve you of it... just name your price imageimage
  • Options
    ER- I like your "lowly" coin, but your icon pic kinda freaks me out..... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file