Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grades posted for modern regrade guarantee, yeah right!

cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, Just saw my grades posted and I just don't agree. These 5 coins were sent in the holders and all 5 came back the same grade. I wish I could be that correct in in everything I do image

I would wager that if I have cracked them out I may have gotten 2 or 3 come back the same grade but not all. It may not be worth much but here is my opinion.
#1 It is in an older (not rattler #4846575) holder with the green label insert and with the scratches on the cheek I think it is at best a MS66 if not a 65 by todays standards.

#2 This coin (was in a slab with the blue insert #21339280) I sent in raw close to a year ago and has a few light marks but has the luster and eye appeal of a coin minted yesterday. I was happy with the MS66 grade then and felt the luster put it in that grade.

#3 This coin (was in a slab with the blue insert #5713398) I purchased on E-bay. It has some haze on the high points (Obv. & Rev.) like some coins found in mint sets stored for many years luster on the medium scale. It is a coin with die polish marks abound front and back and it looks IMO a MS67 except for the rim at about 2 o'clock has a slide mark maybe from not being fully struck due to the blank being bad or what ever. Probably minus 1 point so the MS66 would be justified.

#4 This coin (was in a slab with the blue insert #2828049) was purchased from Keith Dagen. He noted it was purchased by him from Jim Barlow and it was in hi opinion to be worthy of a higher grade and some day it would be in a 67 holder. I paid (I'm sure most of you know what I mean) a little premium for this coin and when I received it was very pleased with the strike, luster and very clean fields. This coin you could tell came from a mint set and was not an average MS66 coin. It does have some slight die polish marks, yet not as pronounced as #3 above. I truly thought this was a shot at 67 and included the other 2 coins as examples or setup coins to be included as reference to this one. This coin is in my type set and will stay there in a 66 holder because I like it much better than the other 2.

#5 This was my last coin and in and older rattler holder that after I purchased it from E-bay I sent it in to be reholdered cert# 2142014. Later I noticed it had toned really nicely on the reverse being in this not too air tight older holder. This coin's Obv. is really mark free and the reverse only has a very light mark on the bottom of the Liberty Bell. I thought it maybe a shot at 68 and would give it a try. I'm not really upset it didn't make it in a 68 holder just surprised.

Bottom line: I just do not believe these coins had a good look. I sent them in and marked on the invoice and then highlighted in blue "*Regrade Guarantee* Modern Up or Down". These coins were all graded at different times maybe over a span of 3 years and they all came back in the same grades submitted. I truely feel that if cracked out what you see below would not be the case. This is just my honest opinion nothing more.

LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION VARIETY COUNTRY GRADE
1 21993229 1982 10C No P USA MS67
2 21993230 1976-D $1 Type 2 USA MS66
3 21993231 1976-D $1 Type 2 USA MS66
4 21993232 1976-D $1 Type 2 USA MS66
5 21993233 1976-S S$1 Silver USA MS67

Date Received: 05/24/2005
Date Shipped: No Date Specified

Comments

• Options

If you truly believe they will up-grade, Roll the Dice and Crack them out...

Personaly I do not think it will help but I ran a poll and 70% said crack them out to get a fair shake...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenverDave,
    I hear what you are saying, but at the same time people have commented that they have received lower grades after crack outs and David Hall has told people to send in their original holders for regrade guarantee to be safe. Anyway I thought I would post some before pictures.
    Warning: Both pictures are about 2Mb.

Obverse group picture

Reverse group picture
  • Options

I'm certainly no expert on the crack out game but I would think once your at 66/67 it's much harder to up-grade and you could very well lose your 67's in the process. In my eye's the best candidate for crack out is an under rated 64 where theirs more room to move up, I think Doug gave you sound advise...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file