Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1993 Finest REF questions

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and am a collector of 1993 Finest REF. I don't have 2100 like that one guy does, but I do have about 25 or so. My prize is a PSA 10 REF of Frank Thomas.

I've been buying 93 REF's on eBay and am getting ready to send in several to be PSA-graded. I've attached the McGwire; I'll be submitting a Sosa, Ripken(?), Gwynn, Piazza, Puckett. What do you guys think about its chances for a 9 grade? I also have a Ripken that isalso truly perfect except for the centering (of course!). It is 60/40 L/R at the worst part and 65/35 T/B at the worst part. Do you think this has a chance of grading a 9? I'm really hoping it does. IF it were to get a qualifier (OC), what would that do to the value of the card? Beckett seems to say that it decreases the grade in essence to Nm-Mint+ (BGS 8.5) but I've heard it may decrease its value even more dramatically than that.

Can anyone comment here, or share similar stories about their grading experiences with the 1993 REF's?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Hello! Welcome to the boards! It's nice to meet a fellow collector of '93 Refractors. First of all, your McGwire is probably going to be a 9, unless there are significant issues with surface scratches. It's going to be close on the centering on the left side of the card, but I feel you will get a 9, no qualifiers. Let's see the other scans when you get a chance. How did you come along the Frank Thomas PSA 10? Not too many 10's of these around. Anyway, feel free to PM me anytime about the '93s if you have a question so we can spare everyone a modern card discussion thread...image

Mark
  • Options
    Hi again,

Thanks for replying. I'd be happy to PM you. Can you tell me how to? I have no idea how to PM someone from here. Thanks.

By the way, how do surface scratches affect these cards? The McGwire, to answer your question, does have a few faint surface scratches. I got the Thomas PSA 10 on eBay about 8 years ago. One of my best buys, IMHO, at $600 or so.

But I'd definitely like to chat RE: these cards.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome jm!
    I don't collect 93 refractors - that's an unbelievable task - very expensive! I wish you luck and if you pick up anything really nice - don't be shy posting it!

mike

PS: to turn your PM on go to profile and scroll down to the allow PM's and press ON radio button.
    Mike
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    jm,
    That's a great price on the PSA 10 Thomas! I've seen PSA 10 commons for the '93s go for that amount. I'll send you a PM. To retrieve a PM, look in your upper left corner to see if you have any new messages.

Mark