Nothing fishy here ...

Here is the purchase.

Oh, and look what’s for sale.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wonder what people who sell proof set packaging really expect buyers to do with the packages.

If you are a buyer of proof sets, you buy them intact. If you want proof coins outside of their packaging, you probably want to put them in an album or get them certified. Does anyone buy loose proof coins and then buy packaging with the intent of reuniting them for display purposes?
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the purchase.

Oh, and look what’s for sale. >>

And this proves what??image
  • Options
    SFDukieSFDukie Posts: 618
    Just to be dense- evidently he is cracking out proofs, and repackaging the worst of the lot? Any other interpretations?(other than taking that unopened business with a grain of salt?). Has anyone ever heard of someone passing off a clad proof set as silver (in silver packaging?)
    Don
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who really needs empty boxes and plastic?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

<< <i>And this proves what?? >>

Nothing at all. But it IS interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    tander123tander123 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    I have lost COA's and banged up some boxes pretty good. Empty boxes and COA's can come in handy but it does look a little supsect.
    Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • Options

<< <i>Who really needs empty boxes and plastic? >>

I've sold them for good money. Does that now make me a crook?
  • Options

<< <i>Hmm. >>

Interesting and suspicious!!

You want proof?? You can't HANDLE the proof!!

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is the purchase.

Oh, and look what’s for sale. >>

And this proves what??image >>

I recently purchased smoe proof sets with pretty beat up boxes that I would'nt mind having some better mint packaging for.I'll most likely have to sell them without mint packaging.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmm. >>

Interesting and suspicious!!

You want proof?? You can't HANDLE the proof!!

image >>

• Options

<< <i>image >>

My backyard has been interesting lately. First Lisa Simpson, now a UFO sighting.

(Truth: I did see an unusual burst of fire in the sky there one night. It was startling. Must've been a meteor entry, but I dunno...)

• Options
    If you can HANDLE the PROOF you have to take it out of the box!!

INDEPENDENCE DAY over Lordm's Swamp!!

-----
    Proud Owner of
  • Options

Hey, I don't live in a swamp. Near some swamps, sure.

Well, OK, lately my yard has certainly been a swamp.

• Options
    To answer the question, “what does this prove?”

The answer is … Nothing! … in this case.

To be fair with this seller, I did embark on a kind of witch hunt. This fellow, I’m sure, filled the holders with proof clad coins because he, looking at his history, has bought an awful lot of proof clad sets. I’m sure he is just cherry picking and selling all of the coins that aren’t worthy to be submitted. I can’t fault him for that.

I was really trying to find a shining example of someone buying silver proof set holders and selling them full of coins. Yes, it is possible that person could be cherry picking as well. But, I’ve found that most of the winning bidders have zero sales; buying with one eBay ID, and selling with another.

My exercise in futility found its genesis in my fear that I am going to receive the two silver proof sets I won on eBay filled with proof clad coins. I guess if I could tell the difference between a denomination of proof clad and proof silver, I wouldn’t have such a shriveled pod. Is there a place where I can see an example of each?
    COTC
    imageimage
  • Options
    Sorry, COTC... we did kinda hijack yer thread, didn't we? image

I got a new sigline picture, though. image

• Options
    I just got back from feeding horses. You got me back for hijacking your oldest-coin-you-ever-dug thread. It was worth it though. I laughed when I saw those pictures and I thing you should use the one with the fighter in pursuit. That is too funny.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Is it that easy to open the 1999-2005 Proof Sets? I would think cracking them open would break them (like a slab) and render them useless!
  • Options
    If you have a silver proof and a clad to sit it next to,you can easily tell which is the silver.
  • Options
    I asked the same question, but haven't heard yet.

Does anyone know of a site that gives clear examples of each coin or explains how to tell the difference between proof clad and proof silver?
    COTC

Edited to add: Thanks, WJD, I just saw your post. I might have to get me a set of proof clads, then.
    imageimage
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it that easy to open the 1999-2005 Proof Sets? >>

Yes. Flex them a bit and pry it open with your fingernail.image
    Larry

• Options
    Do you have to glue them back together or do they snap back together? Can you tell if a holder has been opened?
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I asked the same question, but haven't heard yet.

Does anyone know of a site that gives clear examples of each coin or explains how to tell the difference between proof clad and proof silver?
    COTC

Edited to add: Thanks, WJD, I just saw your post. I might have to get me a set of proof clads, then. >>

This will help!
  • Options
    Thanks, KSteelHeader.
    That actually is helpful.

Does anyone know about the holder? Does it snap back together or does it have to be glued?
    COTC
    imageimage
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    LordM- I like your sigline pic better with the ufo in it! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    image UH...OH!! Now you done made 'em mad!!

Hope your house insurance is up to date!!

-----
    Proud Owner of
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, KSteelHeader.
    That actually is helpful.

Does anyone know about the holder? Does it snap back together or does it have to be glued?
    COTC >>

It snaps back together with no evidence of having been opened!
  • Options
    Crap! Ok, Thank you, K.
    COTC
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file