Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver Proof Set holder, box, and COA.

I asked this question yesterday, but, whoever the wise one is, missed it. I bought two silver proof sets off of eBay a few days ago and noticed many empty silver-proof-set holders, boxes and COAs for sale.

A forumite told me that he was concerned about that too and suspected that an eBayer could refill the holder with proof clad coins.

Is there any way to tell if a holder has been fooled with by looking at it? I assume that they are easer to crack than a slab.
COTC
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

New proof sets open easily and could easily be changed, but the silver sets do look nicer than the clad so I would assume it would be easy to detect (but I'm also sure people probably do it).

I saw an empty 1999 Silver holder on eBay the other day at $56 image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned, if done right, you won't be able to tell on the holders ('99-current).
    However, you should be able to tell on the coin.

The problem would be if you do order from a crook and you try to call them on it, they may accuse you of swapping the coins image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    10-4, Relayer.
    I am pretty wary and careful about what I buy on eBay. The possibility of refilled holders didn’t even occur to me.
    COTC

Edited to add; Thank you, also, Bochiman. This is what I’m afraid of.
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file