Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting thing I found out........ (patterns)

Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

Guess what, I'm going to do an informational post to you guys about PATTERNS (Just imigane I never did it before, okay?image)

For the pattern guys, look up J-156? It's a 1854 pattern cent, with a seated liberty on the obverse and a "1" in a laurel wreath on the obverse:

(from uspatterns.com)

Now look at the reverse of this dutch coin, also a one cent, but a regular issue struck for almost 70 years:

The reverse kinda looks similair don't you think? I've got no idea why this was done, and both Judd and Pollock books don't give the name of the reverse designer, neither does uspatterns.com... I also don't know the name of the dutch designer......... yet

It's a mystery, but I will solve it. My first thought (without any further research) is that the pattern (or another coin with the same design) was used to model the dutch one cent (struck between 1877 and 1940, so AFTER the pattern). It's interesting, 'cause the Dutch and Americans don't have any other similair coin designs....

All tips or hints are welcome!!!

Dennis

Edited to add that there are offcourse some differences.....

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a remarkable similarity, now that you mention it.

But of course the US pattern has an oak wreath, while the Dutch coin has a wreath of orange branches. (Which I've always assumed had something to do with the royal House of Orange).

I have a couple of those Dutch (KM107) cents. But nowhere near that grade.

I personally think it's mere coincidence, but there is certainly a compelling similarity, as you pointed out. Interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Well especially look at the bottom of the wreath..... That's were it caught my eye. Also, the arrangement of most of the leaves are very much the same looking.
  • Options
    That does not look like a similarity. It looks like the same coin design.

That is really interesting.
  • Options

<< <i>That does not look like a similarity. It looks like the same coin design. >>

Nope. Not the same- you're comparing apples and oranges. (Or acorns and oranges, actually.) image

Amazingly similar, though.

But I am thinking if one searched wreath-reverse coin designs of the period, it might be possible to find other close matches. The Austrian 1-kreuzer pieces of the 1860's had a similar wreath reverse, I'm thinkin' (based on memory, here, as I have no picture for comparison.) But those merely had the numeral "1" in the wreath, without the word "cent".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice investigation!

The ribbons certainly look similar. I want to know what is on the obverse of the Dutch cent...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

<< <i>I want to know what is on the obverse of the Dutch cent... >>

Lion and shields (royal arms of the Netherlands). I have an 1878 in VF20 for $1.50 and an 1883 in F12 for $1.00 if anyone's interested. image

Here is the obverse of the gorgeous BU coin Dennis posted.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis - Why would an 1854 pattern be dated 1851?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    NOTHING is even close to similarity. Ribbons, leaves, you name it. Andy, you make me laugh, but you are correct!!!
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Is that cent a nickel alloy?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Interesting observation. The ribbons are similar.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    OK Andy, you say it is 1854. I dont know when to laugh anymore. Looking at it closer, it looks like a 4. Dont have my pattern book at hand - was just... I don't know. I'll shut up... image

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Info on the pattern here.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The obv on the pattern is pretty rough and lacks a lot of detail. Can still see the lathe marks.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Andy, I frequent your uspatterns.com. Great site. Was too lazy to look it up. I'll shut up again.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teaser - what other obscure liberty seated coin can be found with lathe lines??
  • Options
    The leaves self aren't that similair, but the position is. ...

Any more tips are welcome!!!image

Dennis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file