Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you store your collection?

This question is mainly directed towards the small collector, like myself. Me, I have some in a Brinks Safe Deposit Box and the rest in cigar box's. None of it is at any sort of bank or credit union's safe deposit system. How about you?

Take Care
Ben

P.S. It is insured image
100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!

Comments

• Options
    I am currently looking for a safe. But for storage it is best to keep your coins in a moisture free environment. If storing at home keep away from bathrooms and kitchens.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Between two safe deposit boxes and a safe with the base set into concrete.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Expensive stuff in a bank safe deposit box and the cheap stuff just laying around.
    Carl
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    Everything of real value is kept in the safe deposit box at the bank. It's all in slabs, in intercept shield boxes, with silica gel desicant on each side of the box. Of course, I live in Florida where the climate can be a problem for storing coins.

-Kurt-
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    Safe deposit boxes, safe, file cabinet, desk, top of dresser - I really gotta get organized some day.... image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    I love the look of all my collections and I just wish there was a safe way to have them displayed out in he open. My collections of NASCAR Pieces, Sports Cards (slowly selling this one), and Coins along with a myriad of other junk has been relegated to our library, LOL.
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Safe deposit box. Stacks of slabs rubber-banded together. Some in 2x2's in plastic Whitman boxes. A Dansco type album. On my desk at home, some eye-candy cheapies along with whatever just arrived or is going up for sale.

I have great big digi-pics of everything, so that's how I look at most of it.
    mirabela
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very carefully.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff in SDB, keep a few things in a safe and cheap stuff out in the open.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Everything is in my large gun safe.....with the guns.
  • Options
    I bought a large (1300lbs) safe many years ago and they live in there along with my other collectibles, guns, etc. I use a "Goldenrod" and silica gel canisters to keep things at a low humidity.
    I usually keep a few out on my desk to enjoy.
    ------
    "It is possible to keep a mind so open that it is perpetually empty."
    --Peter Huber, "Galileo's Revenge"
  • Options
    Cheap stuff out; expensive stuff in a safe with silica gel.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

under my mattress...........................image

imageimage

• Options
    Most of my coins are in 2X2'' cardboard holders.

Some are in Whitman folders.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Bank SDB
  • Options
    I keep them in a gunsafe in a room in the basement with a locked steel door. They are in there with most of my guns. A few of the guns are strategically place throughout the house for security.

I keep a dehumidifier running in this room with two desicant cans in the safe.

Aaron
  • Options
    I keep mine in a shoebox under my bed and some on my desk.
  • Options

<< <i>This question is mainly directed towards the small collector, like myself. Me, I have some in a Brinks Safe Deposit Box and the rest in cigar box's. None of it is at any sort of bank or credit union's safe deposit system. How about you?

Take Care
    Ben

P.S. It is insured image >>

Cigar boxes might not be a good idea. I had 2 rolls of uncirculated 1954-S, floating mintmark, cents in plastic tubes in a cigar box. Sometime over the last few years the lids have come off the plastic tubes and I have some ugly toned pennies.

imageimage
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Safety Deposit Box
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    I have built a box inside a box the first box measures 16.25x80 the outside box measures 22.25x74.In between I have filled it w/a asbeastos based concreat.the thing fits perfect in between a 2ft on center rafter .I have filled the inside w/silica packages that I replace every 6 mo.all of this is a weld watertight seal.My access door is rated for 2400 deg.It is easily accessable.If my house ever burnt down the only other place that was as safe would be my freezer.As far as someone stealing the thing letem try to find it,get past my dog,and if they get that far the blood trail will lead me to them they may be alittle weak from the bloodloss and I can finish them off gutem and hang them in the barn .(well that may be alittle harsh but those are my thoughts )image
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my collection for the most part in a binder.... my morgan dollars however are in a display case in my room and you can see them image

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    I keep mine buried in parks and old home sites all over the United States.
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file