Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Member needing information

I am still fairly new to this forum. I had posted once before needing help identifying some cards and such. I am no where near being done with all my sorting and identifying, but I keep reading that getting the decent cards graded is the best way to protect and secure any valuable cards. I have also seen PSA mentioned repeatedly. How would one go about getting their cards to PSA to grade and what does that normally run. I am not interested in getting my cards graded for the sake of selling them. I want to keep them safe and secure for the next generation, (my two sons). Do you think grading is the best way to go, or is there another way to preserve for the next twenty odd years.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Dave

before anyone can answer you we would need to know what type/year/etc cards are you talking about?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    My father in law recently passed away and I have acquired boxes and boxes, of baseball cards. I have some from the late sixties, but mostly they are from the 70's and 80's, a few from the early 90's. I have four baseball card binders full of cards, Four big boxes filled with about 10 shoeboxes each of baseball cards, I mean a whole lot of cards. Some are in those penny sleeves with top loaders, some in binders, but most just in shoeboxes. I looked into beckett grading and they want about 9.00 a card. and PSA wants me to join some type of collectors club. I don't want to spend 9.00 a card to protect a .10 card. But I have no idea how to establish what should be graded and what shouldn't. I want to protect the cards for my sons, because it's a legacy of their grandfather. But with my sons being 7 and 4 right now, They can not understand the value of these cards right now. I just don't know how to go about doing it. Is there a way to bulk grade/preserve? I am not sure what to do, or how to go about it. Any advice, would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of trying to inventory the cards via Excel so that I will have a jist of what's what. Better yet, is there a service or something that will go through the cards for me and inventory/preserve for me? Like I said I don't know what to do, or how to go about starting to do something. Confussing I know but I really have no clue as to what I am doing or what I should be doing.

A snapshot of the contents of one of the four boxes of stuff I have.

• Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    that appears to be about the worst way of protecting cards. You should probably start with some 3200 ct trays and go from there.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options

<< <i>that appears to be about the worst way of protecting cards. You should probably start with some 3200 ct trays and go from there. >>

Like those plastic hinged lid trays? Where would I find those trays online? Does any of the members here offer those trays for sale?
  • Options
    I would invest in some penny sleeves and Card Saver II's. I would grade any '60's or '70's Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Munson, Ryan, Rose, Bench, or Reggie Jackson regular issue cards that would grade a PSA 6 or better. Next I would get a few 3200 or 5000 count Monster Boxes. Sort the remaining cards and neatly store them. Just my $0.02. image

Scott

Edited to add: I would not grade anything post 1985 except Star rookies (Bonds, Sosa, Jeter, ARod, etc.) that you feel confident would get a grade of PSA 9 or 10. And I doubt any would judging from the current storage method. image
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would invest in some penny sleeves and Card Saver II's. I would grade any '60's or '70's Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Munson, Ryan, Rose, Bench, or Reggie Jackson regular issue cards that would grade a PSA 6 or better. Next I would get a few 3200 or 5000 count Monster Boxes. Sort the remaining cards and neatly store them. Just my $0.02. image

Scott

Edited to add: I would not grade anything post 1985 except Star rookies (Bonds, Sosa, Jeter, ARod, etc.) that you feel confident would get a grade of PSA 9 or 10. And I doubt any would judging from the current storage method. image >>

To add to Scott's player list to grade: 1975 Robin Yount and George Brett
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Agreed on all with this addition.

No matter what value your sons will have the pleasure of reliving many years of the sport with you, which their grandfather would have loved.

Keep those cards safe.