Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I like this quote -

In the thread by TDN about hypothetically creating value at auction by bidding up lesser examples of coins you already own, Coinosaurus said something like this:

<< <i>valuation of (expensive coins)is really murky. If we are talking about coins with really low pops, valuation has a lot more to do with who needs what rather than what a lower grade coin might have recently sold for. >>

I'm adding that to my list of noteable comments from the board.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very true.

There is also the income factor. Items being sought need to be sought by people with money for valuations to rise to significant levels. A good example of this is the field of National Bank Notes. Some states issues command very high prices because the small but active collector population for that state has lots of money to spend. Other states with equally rare issues perform poorly because the active collectors, while enthusiastic, simply don't have much money and can't bid the notes up to high levels.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Very true. Surprised that this thread didn't get more response. There are examples like this in many areas of numismatics. Obsolete bank notes are similar in nature.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    Has a root in supply and demand.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    agree with all
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After thinking about this thread for close to three years, I guess I agree.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    I have really learned a lot from this forum, thank you to everyone!
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    "In the thread by TDN about hypothetically creating value at auction by bidding up lesser examples of coins you already own, Coinosaurus said something like this:

<< valuation of (expensive coins)is really murky. If we are talking about coins with really low pops, valuation has a lot more to do with who needs what rather than what a lower grade coin might have recently sold for. >>

I'm adding that to my list of noteable comments from the board. Colonial Coin Union, hereafter and forever, in my future posts, will be CCU.

image.

This thread gives me food for thought. I'm a tad bewildered myself as to why, it's not on the top.

Heck, chime in, your thoughts, insights, or comments; I'd welcome em. Take Care, jws.

edited for grammar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file