Home Autographs Forum
Options

What are good attributes for autographs!

When looking over an autograph what tends to be the ideal factors for a solid autograph. An autograph with appeal in terms of authenticity and display. I notice for instance maybe a ballpoint signature carries more value, due to better detail of the slight hand movements being shown through. Although many sports auto's are signed with a sharpee on a football for instance. Any insight would be most helpful. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>When looking over an autograph what tends to be the ideal factors for a solid autograph. An autograph with appeal in terms of authenticity and display. I notice for instance maybe a ballpoint signature carries more value, due to better detail of the slight hand movements being shown through. Although many sports auto's are signed with a sharpee on a football for instance. Any insight would be most helpful. Thank you! >>

Hi,
    thanks for writing. This is a tough question in the way you asked it. "It depends what you collect" is the most fitting answer, but I'll stretch that out. I collect vintage Hollywood and Theatre - so I am often only choosing between ink and pencil. Although invented earlier, ball-point did not really hit the scene until the early 1950's. Now there are Sharpies - unlike earely varnish baesd ball-point ink they do not skip and fade. But, the bleed into themselves and do not leave the obvious information behind that a ball-point of fountain pen will - perfect for a forger. Many dealers just do not buy or sell Sharpies of modern Sports and modern Celebs as they are mostly forged and secretarial at best. However, most people today collecting moderns prefer this pen. Another thing that is paramount is WHAT is signed. A ticket stub, a program, a letter or whatnot - each have their own value and reason for desirability. Lets say you collect Judy Garland - do you buy a pencil signed album page from 1938/39 around the Wizard of Oz, or do you buy a signed concert program from her Palace Tour in 1952 which was so popular it went on and on? Or, do you buy a signed check for a liquor store from 1961 signed in felt tip, or a candid of her on the street, signed in fountain pen in the mid 1950's? It would depend WHY you collect her. I have a collection of all the signatures of the cast of A Star is Born - so I tried and did find one from as close as possible to the year of release - 1956. I owned several but sold them after acquiring the one I really wanted. I would have allowed some weakness in another area, such as condition or a smudge etc, or even a rip - if I could have found a signature from the Premiere of that film and dated such. In general - to your question again - ink is better than pencil, signed photographs better than index cards etc. But it really depends. No one is going to be upset with a pencil sihgnature of Lugosi on a 1929 Dracula Fulton Theatre program. No one. I like vintage material as there is the signature, the item etc, - but the age of the item and the ink/pen used - those are valuable qualities that present even more chanllenges to the forger.

Best - hope this helps - ask another way maybe image

Billy
  • Options
    Awesome you gave me a very informative piece of info pertaining to autographs. I kept my question vague, in hopes to get a good point of view from someone else. Thanks again for your time.
    Magik you wouldn't happen to know any books on this hobby that you could refer by any chance? This would be most helpful if you could give a recommendation. Thanks!
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>Awesome you gave me a very informative piece of info pertaining to autographs. I kept my question vague, in hopes to get a good point of view from someone else. Thanks again for your time.
    Magik you wouldn't happen to know any books on this hobby that you could refer by any chance? This would be most helpful if you could give a recommendation. Thanks! >>

Hi image
    you are most welcome. I was tired when I wrote it and I am not doing so hot - so pardon any dumb errors ("Him" was actually "hi", etc. image )
    Gimme a chance and I will suggest some books. A good source of info is to start collecting auction catalogs. I am going to revive a thread or two for your interest. If you find them helpful - let me know.

Best,
    Billy image