Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How do you get the proper lighting for pics?

I have been trying without success to get some decent pics of my coins. I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 5.1, on the Scene setting and set for close-ups. It seems like every shot I take is too dark. I read Darkhorse's old post about how to take a shot at an angle so your body isn't blocking the light source, then use picture editing software (I have Paint Shop Pro) to distort the picture back to a straight-on shot. I can do that well enough, but my pictures are still too dark.

Edited to add: when I take an image like the one below and try to lighten it with the software, the result does not look natural and therefore doesn't show the coin's true colors.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need some special photography lights to make this happen?? Here is one recent example. This is the original taken at an angle.

Italy 1996 200 Lire...Centennial - Customs Service Academy...brass KM #184 (per 2001 Krause)

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    What is your white balance set to?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I'll have to see where to find that on my camera. image
    Found it...mine is currently set to "A-WB Auto".
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Are you shooting in the auto or manual mode? If in auto, swith to manual and set the WB to match the type of light source you are using.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    I changed the white balance to "Incandescent" and took another pic. Here it is after changing the brightness and contrast, and distorting it:

• MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Much better! Here is the set up I use. It's just two swing arm desk lamps with 60 watt reveal bulbs, a tripod I bought a wally world and a shooting platform I made out of heavy cardboard with black felt fixed to it. I use a Nikon coolpix 4300 canera and I have my WB set a +1 and then take into PSP7 for editing.

Here is an image I shot:
    imageimage
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    I have trouble getting color right also, except if I use indirect sunlight, without using software adjustments. I can't get any fancy photo software to work, but I have had good results (in my opinion at least) using simpler software that is more uer friendly. I use an old one called Picture it 99. I am guessing that your coin is this color? I am still an amateur at this, so excuse me if I am totally off.

Edited to add that this was from your original picture when you only had one other response. I was working on it while the rest of the posts were being made and posted it without refreshing image.
    Thanks for all the tips! image MSD61, thanks that helps and your sample pic is quite stunning!

MrSpud, yes, that's just about the right color, thanks.

Here is the obverse in case anyone was actually interested in the coin and not just a photography discussion. image

• MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin image