Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I STILL THINK THIS CARD IS TRIMMED...NEED HELP FROM THE PIXEL COUNTING GUY

Talk about swimming in the holder. If anybody can compare the Mantle to the other cards in the scan I'd really be interested to see if there is a significant difference. To the naked eye the Mantle seems to look shorter T-B. Thanks

Text
Always looking for High Grade Pete Rose @ Mint 1975 Topps

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I does appear to be shorter T-B, but by how much? I have some 67s that sort of look smaller T-B, but are still 8s. Hard to say.

Stingray
  • Options
    Chances are its just dandy. Not all 53s were made equal. PSA don't miss many.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Chances are its just dandy. Not all 53s were made equal. PSA don't miss many. >>

what about 54's?????
  • Options
    Those early years for Topps production had many faults. Registration, bindry, cutting, edges, even size variations. Craftsmanship was just not a top proiority. Every year seemed to get a little better. The grading gurus are aware of this and can tell if a card is hand trimmed. The machine cutter leaves a completely different angle than a exacto knife. The corners look different also. The early machine cutters had some "spread". Meaning if they were cutting a thick stack, often sheets at the bottom of the ream were a tiny fraction larger than the top sheets. The cutters today do not have this problem as magazines and annual reports ect. need to be exact. We just have to remember that 50 years ago, know one thought about having "graded cards" examined by people like us with nothing better to do than critique their craftsmanship. I think the WIWAG scandal has left a lot of people overly paranoid. As stated earlier...PSA don't miss many.
  • Options
    Three pixels less on the Mantle versus the card next to it. Not a major difference. The Mantle is 8/1000 percent smaller (.00795%). Or you could say the Mantle is 99.2% of the size of the card next to it.

This assumes my math is correct. And today I wouldn't guarantee it!

Shannon
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    why would they trim it Top to Bottom and leave the rough cut on the right. I would think that if a card doctor wanted to trim a card, they would trim any side that could bring the grade down.

Card looks fine, size differences are not enough to say that a card was trimmed.

Actually lots of bad dealers used to buy oversized cards and then trim them to specs. The card would have perfect measuraments but it would be trimmed nontheless
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How does PSA tell if someone took an oversized card and trimmed it down to specks? What are the giveaways in that type of situation?

Stingray
  • Options
    I think one way has to do with the angle of the cut, by looking at the grain of the cardboard, and the color. The grain should all be a direct cut, not slanted up or down like from scissors. Also the color should be consistant with all 3 sides...just a guess
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Calling Da Big Hurt!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

<< <i>Calling Da Big Hurt! >>

buahahhahahahahahha