Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OPINIONS - 2006 Blackbook of World Coins

I would like everyones opinion on this book.

2005 Black Book - Price Guide to World Coins

I do not currently have a book on world coins (very narrow defined collection of Bear and Irish coins).

Is it fairly inclusive? How are the pic's? How are the prices? Is this a decent price?

Thanks in advance,
Larry

Comments

• I have never heard of this reference book before but I am sure others on here may have.

The little I could see on the pages in the book, and the size of the book I would say it has very very limited information and is far from complete.

The price is very low but I do not think you can find a truely acceptable reference book on world coins at that cost level.

I would recommend you invest more and get a Krause covering the century you are inteseted in. It will cost much more bit is the "bible" for world coin references unless you limit to a very specific area of collecting
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: [email protected]
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Wayne's comments above. This book would be better than nothing, but only just. I think you would be much better off finding a used Krause.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 2005 Blackbook and found it totally useless. I highly recommend against buying one, go to a book store and flip thru one and you will see what I mean. Then in the same book store, go find a Krause and flip thru it. Huge difference.

• << <i>I have to agree with Wayne's comments above. This book would be better than nothing, but only just. I think you would be much better off finding a used Krause. >>

image Save your money and get a Krause, many times you can get a previous edition (year) for half the cost of a current one. I do that for a lot of books unless you
    need the most absolute current data. image
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the Black Book useful only for providing collecting ideas.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Thanks everyone for your help.

I will stay away from this one and look for an older Krause.

Thanks again,
    Larry
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still doin' bears?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Well, everyone beat me to it. I guess I missed this thread yesterday.

I see absolutely no point in buying or reading that publication.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Sorry Mr. Lord, I did not mean to ignore you. I somehow missed the fact that there were two more replies to this thread.

Yes, I am still searching for bear coins on and off my list. The only ones that I have gotten lately were a couple of North American Hunting Club Medals/Tokens which I have not added to my list.

I have seen several 1885 Swiss 5 Francs Shooting Comms and the two russian coins on my list, however, the nicer ones get very pricy (also the two USA Comms).image

We recently purchased a new travel trailer and truck and my wife has put a death grip on my coin money.

Thanks for asking and thanks wybrit for your comment.

Larry

• dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    This book is a major-league waste of money. Where do the goombas who authored this book get their prices from - outer spaceimage. Like everyone else, a Krause (even a used one) is better. If you want a Krause (a new one) try Books-A-Million (www.bamm.com). The 2006 edition of the Std Catalog of World Coins is 42% off retail with Millionaires Club card.image
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • expensive toilet paper...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'