Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Exquisite skips Grant Hill again, WHY?

I just don't believe Upper Deck have skipped Grant Hill in their Exquisite Collection again. I can sort of understand why they would drop him in their 2003-04 set but Hill has play fairly well this year and he STARTED on the Eastern All-Star team. How can you not put someone like that in the set? Upper Deck put him in their Ultimate Collection but just won't put him in their Exquisite set. I have noticed that 2004-05 cards of Hill have sold very well on ebay. Cards such as parallel Ultimate, SP Authentic and SP Signature #ed to 25 of Hill have sold for more than any other player except for Jordan, Lebron and maybe Wade. This is true, you may not believe me but it's true. I am a Grant Hill Collector and not being able to get Exquisite cards of him really makes me angry. What are all your thought? Do you think Hill should have been included in this years Exquisite set?

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I always loved the guy especially when he was at Duke. Being the son of Tony Hill is also a plus in my book but lets face it he has been an NBA disappointment. Granted he had some great years when he first entered the leauge but unfortunately his injuries have gotten the best of him. I am sure due to his lack of playing time over the years, some card companies have chosen not to have him in the sets because he really hasnt contributed to his team. My opinion.

Matt
  • Options
    Matt, you're clueless. First of all, at least get his All-pro father's name right: it's Calvin Hill. Second, the guy is like a 7 time NBA all star and averaged over 20 points a game in six years of his career including the first five. Before he got hurt, he averaged nearly 26 a game that last year. He also has averaged nearly 8 boards a game. So tell me how many NBA point guards/forwards have averaged over 20 and 8 for the first 6 years of his career? His career certainly compares favorably to a Gayle Sayers who played shorter in the NFL but was also brilliant when he was there. Oh, and none of this takes into account his college career in which he won 2 National Championships and appeared in a third championship game, was a first team AA and national POY.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome GHF!

This has been a great year for hoops! I'm from San Antonio! Did you contact UD and enquire about the Hill
    snubjob? He's too good a player overall, not to be included. Are you sure there isn't a contract problem with UD or something? Just curious.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt, you're clueless. First of all, at least get his All-pro father's name right: it's Calvin Hill. Second, the guy is like a 7 time NBA all star and averaged over 20 points a game in six years of his career including the first five. Before he got hurt, he averaged nearly 26 a game that last year. He also has averaged nearly 8 boards a game. So tell me how many NBA point guards/forwards have averaged over 20 and 8 for the first 6 years of his career? His career certainly compares favorably to a Gayle Sayers who played shorter in the NFL but was also brilliant when he was there. Oh, and none of this takes into account his college career in which he won 2 National Championships and appeared in a third championship game, was a first team AA and national POY. >>

Nicovu , will you ever forgive me for getting his dads name wrong? I knew he was a former Cowboy and wrote the wrong first name. Is this going to go in your serious injury book? Sorry but in sports its about "what have you done for me lately?" And frankly he hasnt done much! If you were to ask him I bet he would tell you he is disappointed at how his career has turned out. When people look back on his carrer they will say " man imagine the numbers he would have had if he stayed healthy". This is what I meant when I said he is a disappointment.

matt
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt, you're clueless >>

Nicovu
    Matt may be "mistaken" but he is far from clueless.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Agreed - that was a bit harsh, nicovu.
  • Options
    Considering that G Hill had one of the best 6 year starts to his career that has ever occurred including the careers of Jordan and Oscar Robertson, I suppose that what followed was a disappointment. But to dismiss his career as a disappointment is just unfair and lacking substance. Had he not been injured, Grant Hill would be in the same sentence, career-wise as Jordan and Robertson. Needless to say, he is still probably a Hall of Famer and did manage to average almost 20 points a game after horrific injuries. And that he started the All Star game this year is enough reason for him to be included in any set hilighting the best players in the league.