Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cross over's from GAI 9 to PSA 9

Anyone had any relative success is trying to switch over GAI 9 graded cards to PSA 9??

I have a bunch of cards from the 1960's that I will be putting up on ebay very soon and figure that they would do better if they were in PSA-9 holders.

I am curious to hear what anyone's experience has been in the past.

Thanks!
Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Miami-

You are much better off cracking them out yourself and submitting them than submitting them as a cross over. JMO
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    miami

Agree you should eyeball them yourself , crack the ones you feel have a great shot at 9 and sell the rest as GAI 9's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I probably just threw away $23.50, but I handed in an order Saturday at the show in Chicago to crossover an SGC 84 Jurgensen to a PSA 7 minimum. I debated on cracking it - but decided not to. I bought the Jurgensen fairly cheap (under $60) so if it doesn't cross, I'll probably just sell it).

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Sometimes I feel like the "Crossover" service should be renamed the "Pay Us Cash To Slam The Competition" service.
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Crack them!! I cracked open 5 various others, 2 GAI8's--- and they were graded PSA 8. The other 3 were PGS8 & BCCG9 which all graded the same # with PSA.... SO------- crack those mother's!!! The crackin' part is trickey,,,,,,, carefully and patiently,, otherwise you bought it! Good Luck---- Tony
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Miami, I just cracked 2 sgc and 1 PSA and submitted to see what grades I get. 1 baseball each of 49 Bowman, 62 Topps and 74 Topps. PSA 5, sgc 84, and an sgc 92. I will post results by Labor day I hope. I've had pretty good luck in the past with crackouts, 6 out of 8 equal or higher, 1 the same and 1 lower.
    Crack has gotta be the best way to go. You just have to eveball them real close before you decide. Good luck on results.

Stan/bosko56image
  • Options
    I have crossed GAI to SGC... but never GAI to PSA...

I have had relative luck crossing over SGC to PSA... in fact... of the handful of relatively tough issues I crossed... 1971 topps trios bk and 1969 topps bk... all crossed even... 8's

It was an absolute nightmare crossing over BGS/BVG
    61 fleer bk, 80 bk and 71 and 72 bk were evidence of trim... or recolored.
    and...
    I never broke them out myself... except a few 72 bk bgs and they still came back as trimmed. 3 - 4 years ago on the bgs crossovers... 2 years ago on the SGC crossovers.
    From reading the boards... seems cracking them out yourself is a good idea...
    anyway, good luck.
  • Options
    Cracking is the only way to go... I have not and WILL not use PSA's "cross-over service" because I simply do not think it is possible to properly measure and inspect a card unless it is raw and in your hand to touch and scrutinize. Why would anyone have the same confidence in PSA's grading ability for a card they cannot view unobfuscated, if only by a thin layer clear plastic? Not me. I understand some cards are even WEIGHED for authenticity, so wtf? PSA's unpublished bias against their newest rival is obvious to all, so make what you will of that too.

If you want it in a PSA holder, send it in raw, that is the only way that seems to make sense to me...
  • Options
    Had about a 50% crossover rate from GAI to PSA on vintage FB.
    The ones that didn't cross were pretty clear when I took a good look at them.
    I'd submit for crossover. You can always crack later.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    The situation where you wouldn't necessarily want to crack out is when you'd take a big hit if you lost a grade. There are plenty of cards that sell for more as GAI 9 or SGC 98 than they would if they dropped to PSA 8. You have to be pretty confident (or not care) in order to crack out a GAI 9. That said, chances are not good that a GAI 9 would cross to a PSA 9 ... and it doesn't have much to do with the card itself. If it's that important and you want to go to the trouble and expense, cross to SGC first THEN cross to PSA. Or crack out and take your chances.
  • Options
    HI-
    I bought two 1970 topps glossy football GAI 9's and both crossed to psa 9's. I also sent in an SGC 96 from the same set and it didn't cross. I'm 2/2 on GAI crossovers so I can't complain.. Hope this helps!
    Paul
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Paul-

Did you crack and submit or did you use the crossover service?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Zef204-
    I used the crossover service instead of cracking. They looked awfully sweet in their holders so I felt they would cross . Keep an eye out for those GAI 9 glossies!! Paul