Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone deal with michaelpohler on ebay?

He has some nice looking raw 50s and 60s cards in addition to some PSA graded cards. I'm hesitant to bid on the raw cards, fearing that there is a hidden reason they haven't been graded.

Has anyone had any deals with this seller? I've asked for large scans of the cards I'm looking at...hopefully he'll reply.

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Early on I bought tons of raw cards from him for my 55 and 59 sets. On a whole I don't recall him dealing in graded cards .

With that in mind I would not think that he has hidden reasons for not grading cards.

It has been awhile but I certainly had no unpleasant tranactions with him, but I may not have been so picky back them about my raw cards as i am now.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

I have bought about 6 raw 59s from him in the last year.

Overall I am happy. They were cheap and will grade out to 6,7, maybe 8, which is what I am shooting for at the moment.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Seems like his auction titles are misleading. Says card is NM and has 90/10 centering. Not sure how the prices are. I get very irritated scannning through 55 topps auctions and EVERY ONE I seem to click on is his, and has horrid centering. I thought about sending him an email to STOP!
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Well, I pulled the trigger. I hit the BIN for $36.50 including shipping. The seller had a PSA 6 that's very OC with a BIN $10 more. I don't know if he thins this cared is less than a 6 or what. I'vegot my fingers crossed that it will look as nice in person as it does in the scan.

Assuming no hidden flaws, does it have a chance at an 8? The top right corner looks like it might be a bit soft, but other than that I think it looks great!

• Options
    Ajw,

I am a 59 collector. It is a nice looking card but 8 would be pushing it. My guess is a definite 7 assuming, as you said, it has no hidden flaws

$36.50 is a little high for my taste. I would have paid in the mid-$20's

Good luck

Jami

• Options
    Ripublican hit the nail on the head about his auctions being misleading. While not as bad as Nomar, his would qualify as some of the most misleading auctions in the card section of ebay. I wouldn't touch anything he is offering.
  • Options

<< <i>Ripublican hit the nail on the head about his auctions being misleading. While not as bad as Nomar, his would qualify as some of the most misleading auctions in the card section of ebay. I wouldn't touch anything he is offering. >>

What have you bought from him?

• Options
    Lostdart

I'm referring to his misleading titles and descriptions. He puts the PSA 8 SMR value in the title of all his graded card auctions -- regardless of what grade the card is.
  • Options

<< <i>What have you bought from him? >>

Just like with Nomar, I don't need to buy anything from him to know that I don't want to buy anything from him.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What have you bought from him? >>

Just like with Nomar, I don't need to buy anything from him to know that I don't want to buy anything from him. >>

Comparing him to Nomar?? HUH??? That is pretty harsh!!

His titles and description describe exactlly what he is selling. His use of dollar signs, <<< >>> ,and monetary value is perhaps a bit confusing, but doesn't warrent the term "misleading"

Looking at some of his auctions now, makes me remember that his grading of raw cards that i bought from him was fair.

• Options

<< <i>Ripublican hit the nail on the head about his auctions being misleading. While not as bad as Nomar, his would qualify as some of the most misleading auctions in the card section of ebay. I wouldn't touch anything he is offering. >>

Here is his NM 55 lepcio image Like DUH?????
    the link to ^auction

Thanks kuntryboy! Need I say mo'?
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Looks like he has changed his tactics. I don't remember him doing that when I bought from him.

However, on the centering subject sellers who claim NM and don't include centering are a dime a dozen. Heck there are reputable sellers and dealers who fudge that criteria.

You just have to assess the card for yourself.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought from him several times. All PSA 5 graded 1955's. Never had an issue and been very pleased overall. I'm guessing most of his raw stuff would grade 5 or 6, otherwise he'd send them in himself, which makes him no different than any other vintage seller. There's no money selling PSA 5 and 6 cards from the 1950's.

To put him in the same category as nomar is a bunch of crap. I know one thing, he only charges $1.50 to ship a single graded card, so don't be telling me he tries to gouge people.
  • Options

<< <i>
    You just have to assess the card for yourself. >>

Agreed Sophilly, but it wastes a TON of my time clicking on his crap only to seee a grossly O/C card. AND it is ALWQAYS his listings I click on and get pissed about the centering. It was the FIRST thing I thought of when I saw "michaelpolher". That DAMN guy who has the misleading 55 topps auctions I always look at!
  • Options

<< <i>To put him in the same category as nomar is a bunch of crap. >>

I disagree. Both michaelpohler and Nomar make a living by intentionally misleading novice collectors as to the value of the items they are selling.
  • Options
    I have bought from him many times and am kind of luke warm. I have had decent transactions with him. A plus is that he is very willing make right if you have a problem. I bought a 53 jackie Robinson from him on a BIN for like $300. Card looked ExMt-NM in scan and I was initially (for about 3 minutes) estatic when I got the card. Looked and the edges and sure enough someone restored the black on the the bottm right edge. I e-mailed him with the price I was willing to pay him to keep the card as is or otherwise return it and he sent me back a refund for the difference. I 100% trust his PSA material though. Another plus on him is that he will respond honestly to any questions you ask him even though his listings are a bit vague deceptive. It also odd and a bit humorous but the man loves himself some exclamation marks when typing! It must be a Seinfield fetish or something! He ends every sentence with one! Anyone else get e-mails from him like this!

Damian
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Matter of fact, just bought my first card from him. 1955 Topps described as EX-MT to NM but I would call it EX at best after receiving it. Additionally, the card was shipped in a plain 37 cent envelope. Luckily I didn't spend much but the first time will be the last time.

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports