Home Sports Talk
Options

Rocker released by minor league team

stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
What a shame...

Rocker released by minor league team

June 27, 2005
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) -- John Rocker was released Monday by the Long Island Ducks after the pitcher told the Atlantic League team he wanted to reassess his future.

Rocker joined the Ducks in April and went 0-2 with a 6.50 ERA in 23 games, striking out 19 and walking 28 in 18 innings.

``After pitching for two months with the Long Island Ducks, the consistency required to pitch at the major league level, and the consistency I demand from myself, are not where they should be,'' Rocker said in a statement released by the team. ``As a result, I have elected to take a step back and re-evaluate the options available to me.''

The 30-year-old left-hander had 38 saves for Atlanta in 1999 and 24 the following year, then was traded to Cleveland during the 2001 season, when he had for 23 saves for the Braves and Indians.

He spent 2002 with Texas and 2003 with Tampa Bay, totaling just one major league save. He had a 9.15 ERA in 17 games for Double-A Orlando when the Devil Rays released him in June 2003.

His mouth earned him as much notoriety as him arm. In 1999 he made derogatory remarks in Sports Illustrated about gays, minorities and foreigners. Rocker later said he was baiting New York fans.

``Obviously, we're disappointed we didn't return him to the majors,'' Ducks principal owner Frank Boulton said. ``We know the talent is there, and I'm sure we haven't heard the last from John in baseball.''

Comments

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    He will now write a book about his knucklehead behavior, make the talk show tour, and earn enough gish to retire. Sad.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...