Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Collectors who hit "No", and do not display their sets!

Would like to hear your opinions on what their rational might be for not letting everyone see the composition of their set.

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    they are in the process of buying and do not want others to up the bids or out bid them. or.....they are constantly upgrading and do not want others to see what they need.

I find it funny, why have a set registered if you can't see it?

oh well to each their own

Steve
    Good for you.
  • If you display your set, then other collectors could contact you if they have cards that you need for your set!
  • Not everyone is so upstanding.
    Jeremy

• << <i>If you display your set, then other collectors could contact you if they have cards that you need for your set! >>

or they could bid the snot out of you when a card you need comes up for sale on ebay

The 2 things that baffle me is when you have a complete all PSA 10 set blocked out (what exactly are you hiding) or if you retire a set (why leave it blocked out )
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Especially that the_way_we_walk fella ... image
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Ditto the reasons above - some people use the registry as their own inventory log and aren't particularly comfortable opening it up to scrutiny from the rest of the world. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you display your set, then other collectors could contact you if they have cards that you need for your set! >>

If you only need one PSA 8 to complete your set in PSA 8 and above - and dealers know which PSA 8 that is - do you have any idea what sort of premium they will charge?! If people know you are building a set in top grade - you'll get the call. If you play your cards too openly - many will profit from your willingness to share information.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    .....then there are the set registry members who show their set but not their email...........I have cards available for a 72 Topps set registry member who needs a couple of dozen cards to complete his set. I am willing to offer some ofthese cards to him at a more then fair price but I have no way to contact him..............
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• In my case, I mirror the competition.
    If it is against MOSh and he doesn't show ... then I don't show.
    If it is against Wolfbear and he updates once a year... then I update once a year (I like this best because it is nearly impossible for me to stay on top of the updates -- but that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
    If it is against the Fabulous One and he updates and shows ... I show and try to reasonably keep on top of the updates (but I don't do well).

Seems to be a fair thing to me.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • I don't show my sets for the following reasons:

(1) The gouge factor (although none of my sets are as yet gouge worthy -- think "sponge worthy" from Seinfeld)

(2) To me, each set is like a work of art -- you don't display the painting until it's done.

That being said, I would display my set if I had the #1 set (and it was at a completion percentage to be award eligible) out of fairness to those in the chase. As I have not had that privilege of being in such a position, my sets have remained hidden.

John
    Mainly collecting 1956-1980 Topps Football, 1960-1963 Fleer Football, 1964-1967 Philadelphia Football, 1957-1980 Topps Hockey, 1968-1980 O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and 1976 Topps Basketball. Looking for PSA 9 NQ (or higher) in 1972-1980, and PSA 8 NQ or higher for pre-1972.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I happen to be an exhibitionist - and like showing my wares off (no matter how pathetic most of my sets are...). In my opinion, people who don't allow other to view their set and/or list their e-mail address are missing on one of the aspects that makes the registry so wonderful. I can't tell you how many times I have contacted other collector's or had them contact me to buy, sell or trade.

In addition, I often search inactive sets for cards that I'm looking for and have completed several deals that way.

JHO

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I display because I want people to look at my growing collection (or to put it correctly, my PSA growing collection). I use the set registry as both a checklist and a goal for collecting. I would love to end up with all the Favre's and still be number 1, but I am not out to get all PSA 10's either. Not to mention this doesnt include my other Favre collectables or auto's.

I guess if one is worried about spam email you might be able to use a generic email like yahoo.com. Then again the sellers are just using the free market, supply and demand. If you dont show, does the registry show your completion %? Anyways, sellers can see what sets are hot and adjust their prices. I know I do the same thing as a buyer. If 4sharp or its sisters has a card I want and is close to closing I might not bid, in hopes that they will relist with a lower price.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • << If you display your set, then other collectors could contact you if they have cards that you need for your set! >>

I'm not sure how often or how successfully this happens but here is my experience:

In the past I displayed my set but decided not to after I was contacted by another collector above me in the registry. We started negotiating a sale/trade for a couple of cards that I needed. When I agreed on the terms he unabashadly told me he'd already sold them to another collector!!!

Personally I thought it was pretty low on his part to lead me to believe we were negotiating only to sell the cards out to someone else. Unfortunately my set is closed now so he can't pull the same stunt again.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    he told you that the moment you agreed? or later in the day etc?

either way it was low. however if he did that at the same moment then he has problems.

steve
    Good for you.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I used to show my sets, scans and all, but I found there were several problems:

1. Fellow collectors seeing what you need and then inflating their bids (whether to win or lose).
    2. People stealing scans
    3. People making absurd trade or buy offers for your cards
  • Funny, but after reading this thread I'm ready to hide mine.

One note on MOSH. He has a post-career Maravich set in the Collector's Showcase area, and by clicking on "View Registrant's Sets" you can see the other quarter million sets he has registered - even a few that he didn't hide.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or 10 Pete Maravich cards!

#1 Pete Maravich Master Set AGAIN!

The Ultimate Pete Maravich Card Collection
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    << If you display your set, then other collectors could contact you if they have cards that you need for your set! >>

I'm not sure how often or how successfully this happens but here is my experience:

ZERO times has it happened to me and I have let everyone view my sets. I once had my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set hid because there were 11 newly graded cards that had hit the pop. report and I did not want the seller or potential buyers to run me up on those that I needed. I have advertised for people to contact me with upgrades and it is never happened.
    I don't blame those that cover the set, unless the set is retired.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Actually, my 1972 Kelloggs Baseball set is open. I have no plans to improve it, so it's essentially retired.
  • Some folks take it too seriously.

I know guys spend a bundle on cards, but if you think someone is going to intentionally bid you up on an expensive card (relative, I know) just so you can't add it to your set, you're paranoid.....and you shouldn't register a set to begin with.

(1954......Branca's Wilson Franks are in the next Mastro auction)
  • DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Why is this so hard to comprehend?

As a buyer, you're opening yourself up to potential shill bidding by the seller if that seller knows you're DESPERATE for a certain card.

Believe it or not, but there are unscrupulous sellers out there who WILL take advantage of your need of a certain card for your Set Registry. It's not too hard to make a shill account and bid something up. It happens a million times a day on Ebay.

Keeping your set make-up to yourself is plain using common sense when you're still actively looking to upgrade.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What cracks me up is people worrying about these sets....honestly, how many are not visible? And what really is gained by being able to see every card in their set? This comes up every couple months or so....just let it go image

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Some folks take it too seriously.

I know guys spend a bundle on cards, but if you think someone is going to intentionally bid you up on an expensive card (relative, I know) just so you can't add it to your set, you're paranoid.....and you shouldn't register a set to begin with.

Amen brother. . .
    Baiting #1s and #2 on the Set Registry

This is why you don't open your set up for viewing on the Set Registry.

People find out what you need to upgrade; they'll do everything they can to gouge you.

<< <i>Baiting #1s and #2 on the Set Registry

People find out what you need to upgrade; they'll do everything they can to gouge you. >>

......but a smart and patient buyer will not fall for this trickery............and those of us here are smart and patient buyers!!!!!

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Baiting #1s and #2 on the Set Registry

People find out what you need to upgrade; they'll do everything they can to gouge you. >>

Good point, and nice example DBH! What if the 4SC's of the world couldn't see our sets...
    You're right. And a smart and patient buyer would never even allow others even a chance to drive the market up on the cards he needs.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I buy something, whether it's a baseball card, a car or a house, keeping the seller unaware as to how desperately I want that particular item or thing is to my advantage. If you were one or two cards away from completing a covetted set, would you walk around a major card show with a sign saying "I only need a PSA 9 Joe Schmo card and will absolutely pay top dollar"?

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Agree with the above comments, but come on it's Trevor. lol

<< <i>You're right. And a smart and patient buyer would never even allow others even a chance to drive the market up on the cards he needs.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I buy something, whether it's a baseball card, a car or a house, keeping the seller unaware as to how desperately I want that particular item or thing is to my advantage. If you were one or two cards away from completing a covetted set, would you walk around a major card show with a sign saying "I only need a PSA 9 Joe Schmo card and will absolutely pay top dollar"? >>

Didn't Joe Schmo play for the 52 Senators?? image

• SinibobCardsSinibobCards Posts: 183 ✭✭
    SinibobCards@aol.com

Working on 56T BB and 80T BB
    Looking to trade blocks of BB graded commons for other blocks of BB commons

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/sinibobcards/othersets/3205

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sinibobsystems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
  • My sets are always open. It has never been a problem for me. Collectors and dealers contact me when they see a card I need. I usually don't negotiate. If a like the price I say yes. If not I decline. When bidding on a card on Ebay, I put my bid in via a snipe. That usually protects me from shill bids. But the final protection from shill bidding comes from me. I only bid what I believe the card is worth. If I'm outbid (whether legitimately or shilled), I'll wait for the next card to come up. No one is putting a gun to my head and making overbid or over pay for a card. I can do that myself!image

I don't like closed sets, but can understand why some collectors would close their sets. I believe though that if you close your set, that is not fully participating in what the "spirit" of The Registry is about. Along that line of thought, I feel closed sets should not be considered for Registry awards. I've discussed this with PSA, but unfortunately they don't agreeimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • I am 100% with Frank above; I keep all of my sets open and bid what I am willing and lose when I don't bid enough...simple enough. I feel the contacts I have made from people who see what I need far outweighs my fear of shill bidding which my snipes make moot. I also agree that I hold no ill will to those who close their sets although it is not totally in keeping with what I feel is the intent of the registry. All that said, luck to all.
    Dave C.
    You're being incredibly naive if you believe a last second snipe can protect your bids from being shilled.

If I know for certain which cards you need and know that you'll DEFINITELY be bidding , AND I have an idea of what you're willing to pay, do you really think a last second snipe you put in will prevent me from jacking up the price of that card artificially? If someone is armed with the information that you're definitely going to bid on something, they can easily put their own snipe. If I know you're going to put in a last second snipe (by studying and knowing your bidding history) for $400, how hard is it for me to snipe my own auction with a shill for $375?

If you follow a particular set (and I know each of us do), it's not hard to find out who the big time buyers are. It's not hard to figure out what their bidding patterns are. There are last second snipers and there are people who just place a max bid and don't care if they get shilled.

We're talking about elaborate shills here who have done their homework, not the amateur shills who bid on their own junk 20 times, bumping it up $5 at a time.

• If I know for certain which cards you need and know that you'll DEFINITELY be bidding , AND I have an idea of what you're willing to pay, do you really think a last second snipe you put in will prevent me from jacking up the price of that card artificially?

Lots of if's DBH. I will guarantee though, If anyone feels they can shill bid me and try to bid me up on cards that I need, those people will own lots of cards themselves. I don't pay higher than my budget on any card.
    Yup, and that's what's why i like sniping. You don't have to worry about exceeding your budget AND you don't show your hand to others until the last second. Just pointing out that sniping doesn't necessarily protect you from people who know exactly you're going to bid and bid very aggressively on.

Which of course, goes back to our original point of why some just don't want to show their hands on the Registry. To each his own.

• I snipe too. Collectors who know which sets I'm working can figure out what cards I need. But like I said, I snipe and forget about. If I win, Great. If not, I wait for the next card. My snipe is my max, anything less works in my favor. Anything higher (whether shill or not) is someone elses card.
  • I leave my sets open, I have a few one of one PSA 3's to show off. I do tend to keep a few cards in reserve so that I can enter them to stay on the first page. This works for me and may benefit me when I get closer to completing a set. I snipe like some of you and set my max that way. Very, very rarely will I go and update a snipe bid. I just let it go and wait for the next one to roll around. Besides ebay isn't the only place to get cards for the set registery.
    Registery Sets

1966 Topps Baseball #18 200ish to go
    Ken Griffey Master #2 too many at this point to go
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Frank,
    I agree with what you are saying about waiting around for the next one to come. But in some situations that my be 5 years done the road for some. If I could get my cards graded for $3 a card, I would submit tons of cards like four sharp corners. It is truly amazing how they get the grades they get and the price as well.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    bump

• << <i><< If you display your set, then other collectors could contact you if they have cards that you need for your set! >>

ZERO times has it happened to me and I have let everyone view my sets. I once had my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set hid because there were 11 newly graded cards that had hit the pop. report and I did not want the seller or potential buyers to run me up on those that I needed. I have advertised for people to contact me with upgrades and it is never happened.
    I don't blame those that cover the set, unless the set is retired.

1954 >>

1954, I collect the 67 Baseball set. I leave my set available for all to see. One day, from out of the blue, I guy contacts me & says he has the extremely rare Mantle Checklist variation & wants to know if I want to buy it. He sends a crazy asking price to me. I tell him I will do it for half. He says yes, 3 days later I have one of the toughest 8's in the whole set. POP 4. He was a great guy & I owe him big time. This would have NEVER happened if I had not let my set be accessible. It will happen to you too. Patience my friend. Sometimes it is tough in our shared passion.

TB
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • I see this issue has been discussed before! I can't believe I'm in the same camp as DaBigHurt as far as why some people close their sets. For the record, I only have one set closed...all the others are open. I like sharing too...and try to scan most of my cards for the Registry.
  • I kinda agree with no awards for no viewable sets. What if everyone hit the no button, it'd become a really boring place. I open all my sets, and have scans of nearly every card, because I like to share. If someone outbids me for a card, because they know I'm looking for it, so be it. I have better things in life to deal with then being #1 on any baseball card set.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    3 of the 4 members of PSA's "Collector Hall of Fame" keep the majority, if not all, of their sets hidden. Jim Crandell is the sole exception there.

And a vast majority of the "SA's HOF Set Registry sets are hidden as well.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.