Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1976 O-Pee-Chee #98 Dennis Eckersley HOF PSA 9 OC

Here is an example just how unpopular OPC cards are to PSA collectors (or seem to be?).

Just purchased/won a 1976 OPC #98 "Eck-man" Rookie Card PSA 9 o/c. Only 23 have been graded by PSA, with 3 PSA 9s, 1 PSA 9 o/c and no 10s!

Compared to 'the '76 topps variety with PSA grading 791 cards, with 35 PSA 9s, 16 PSA 9 O/Cs and just one PSA 10.

I won the '76 'Eck-man' OPC PSA 9 o/c for: $ 32.11

P.S. Seemed like a bargain to me (i.e., @ $ 32.11), for such an important mint card (i.e., ...even for a qualifer!)? Who know's? Are there "a ton of Canadians" that have ungraded '70s mint OPCs "salted away"? Or are these cards just as scarce as PSA tells us they are?

rd

Comments

• I opened a pack of 1978 OPC baseball about 2 months ago. I got i card that was maybe an 8 on a good day the rest were very OC
  • Well actually it's worth about a PSA 7 which has a SMR of $30.00 so you did ok.
  • rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    rbdjr,

I'm with you man.

A while back, I bought a raw '76 OPC Palmer for $5. Then, paid $5 to have it graded. It came back an 8. I would've been willing to pay more than $10 if it came up on eBay as a PSA 8.

So, the question is are they that rare, or just so few have been graded ?? We'll see in years to come I guess. But that Eck rookie for $32 seems mighty fine to me.

Ian
  • I think they are rare compared to the normal Topps issue and I think finding gradeable cards is also tough so that's why you don't see that much of it.
  • rbdjr1,

Some years of 70's OPC are fairly easy to come by, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978 and 1979 seem to be offered in wax box form on eBay at some time or other. The later years more often then the earlier years.

The 1971's, 1974's, 1975's, and 1976's are alot rarer. 1974 & 1980 OPC were short printed I believe because of printing strikes in those years. 71's, 75's, & 76's are really tough to find in non-OC or non-bearded edge condition, let alone in NM-MT or Mint condition. Don't know much about 1970's issue since it didn't include a Nolan Ryan card.

Board members 67Standup and PackCollector probably know the OPC history story better than I.

Hope you enjoy the card!!

Scott J.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Bob, great card.. i think you got a steal on it.. i have a PSA 8.. no doubt there are ALOT less of these than the Topps versions.. and i just won a raw copy that was advertised as "NM or better".. (yeah, right).. i'm expecting it to be more like EX-MINT, but i got it dirt cheap!
    ·p_A·

• << <i>Board members 67Standup and PackCollector probably know the OPC history story better than I >>

Not sure about that, you provided a great overview Scott. Nothing scientific, but some thoughts on OPCs:
      rarity doesn't equate to value. Many of us own cards in which only a handful exist, but a "Pristine" or "Gem" post-2000 card will outsell them anyday. Pre-1977 OPCs are scarcer than Topps, price is usually higher, but demand is usually lower.
        A loose guide regarding scarcity:

Tier 1
        1965 and 1971 high #s
        Tier 2
        Tier 3
        1966,1968,1969,1970,1976,1980,1981 (grey back)
        Tier 4
        Tier 5
        Tier 6
        everything else

1967 and 1969 often have "printers lines", i.e., faint creases. Most 1969 Ernie Banks are like this. 1976 is brutal on centering, 1974 tough too. I've yet to find a centered 1973 #1, pops support this. 1980 is the only verifiable strike year at the OPC plant. Many 1968s are printed shorter in size, therefore my Registry set is stuck at 92%.

Most importantly: nice pick-up on the Eck!
        “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
      • RG58RG58 Posts: 119
        I collect 1979 OPC graded 9+. I am number one on the registry. Why do I collect such cards? Because they are scarce in MINT 9+ condition which means I have to work (not just throw dinero on a table) to complete this set. I find this satisfying. I have 15 cards ready to go o PSA at some point that I picked up at the National in Cleveland after looking at every table for raw 1979 OPC cards. Its cool sending cards to PSA and getting back a 1/1 pop card. If you ever opened a 1979 opc wax pack, guess what... you will find almost every card off-center. In each pack you will find perhaps 1 card worth grading, but then be disappointed when they come back PSA 8s. Not worth paying 150-200$/ wax box for a bunch of rough cut off-center cards. There is lots of raw 1979 OPC out there, but few that grade MINT 9!

Although I am only at the beginning stage of putting this 1979 opc set together, I have so far enjoyed working on it considerably more than putting together the other set I work on which is 100,000x more popular- 1958 topps master. I don't care if its unpopular because it is the challenge that makes it exciting to collect! I am considering selling my 1958 topps so i can purchase an Ozzie Rookie PSA 10 next time one comes to auction.

Go OPC Go!
      • I have a 1979 opc Eddie Murray Psa 9. LMK if you're interested................. Harold
      • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
        Generally speaking, OPC hockey sets were bigger than their Topps counterparts. Is the opposite true of baseball? Just curious, I'm not a baseball collector.
      • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I replied awhile back on a different thread, but i am lucky enough to own a 1973 and a 1975 OPC wax box both still unopened. I bought these in Southern California from a friend of mine who owned a pawn shop. He had a connection with somebody in Canada who was supplying him these boxes. I know of 3 73' opc boxes and 2 75'opc boxes that left his shop. If memory serves me, i think i paid around 18-21 dollars for the 73's per pack and around 15-18 dollars for the 75's. PSA still gives no repsect to OPC Rarity and Value.
      • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

sweet.. i got this one in the mail today.. its definitely a NR MINT card, probably an 8, whatdya think?.. i bought it raw for $7 bucks..

·p_A·