Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1974 O-Pee-Chee #654 Jesus Alou PSA 9

I just bought/won this card on ebay, and was wondering if anyone had an answer to this:

PSA graded the 1974 Topps version of this card with two variations:

1974 Topps #654 Jesus Alou - No Position
1974 Topps #654 Jesus Alou - Position

PSA stated in SMR that the "No Position" error variation sells at a premium to the regular issue.

My question is this: PSA graded this 1974 OPC #654 Jesus Alou PSA 9 as a regular issue. I purchased six 1974 OPC PSA 9s, and only the #654 Jesus Alou has no position printed on the front of the card, while the other five cards do have their respective positions printed on the upper-right front of their cards.

With print runs scarce on the OPC cards, could it be that the "no position" card (i.e., 1974 OPC #654 Jesus Alou) is the only version that was issued by O-Pee-Chee?

While the 1974 Topps Baseball set was issued in much greater volume, Topps was able to correct an error, such as forgetting to add Jesus Alou's position on the front of the card. Which Topps corrected and has the two variations.

So, if anyone knows if OPC did issue a 1974 OPC #654 Jesus Alou with the Position on the "upper-right front", please let me know, thanks!

Also: It is interesting to note just how unpopular these '70s O-Pee-Chee cards are to collectors. I won six '74 OPC PSA 9s, all 1/1s and five 1973 OPC PSA 9s at very low prices. In fact I was the only bidder on most (i.e., $9.95 each for six cards, $13.38 for four cards, $17.38 for one and $21.38 for one card). Most of the 11 OPC PSA 9s I just purchased are the only graded mint examples, while many dozens of graded mint examples exist for the 1974 Topps counterparts. I think I did well?

TIA rd

1974OPC #654 Jesus Alou PSA 9 MINT

Here is an example of a 1974 OPC with the position on card

Comments

• Options
    The OPC stuff has a very small group of guys that collect it but if you like it and can score it at a good price then more power to you.
    It's all about what you like.