Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is better than gold bullion? Gold coins of course.

Here are a few photos of some of the gold coins I bought. It is the most enjoyable way for me to own some gold bullion. I get to learn a bit about some coins I knew nothing about. They look cool. They are older. They are gold and only cost a tiny premium to the value of the metal in them.

The color didn't come out well on the following coin. My daughter plays violin so it is really cool to have a coin with instruments on it.

Comments

• Options
    Darkside gold can be lots of fun.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Carl these are nice, I prefer this approach too ,over simple bullion,but you might be surprised to learn that the 1915 Austrian is actually bullion undercover, still produced today and there are many chances that the Rooster is a modern restrike too, there have been so many that I can't tell the real ones from the restrikes. The Cuban and the sovereign are dated, and I like the design of the Austrian proof. Nice designs and choices anyway. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I read that Austrian Ducats dated 1915 are restrikes and mine is probably fairly modern. I asked about it on an earlier thread here.

Krause says all Roosters from 1907-1914 have been officialy restruck. So I guess my 1910 and 1912 could very well be restrikes. Is there a distinguishing mark or something so I can tell if mine are restrikes?

I also have an 1896 A 20 Franc, 1945 Mexican 2 and 2 1/2 Pesos and more, all are different.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice gold, Carl image
    I need to get the Brit gold myself ... well, and the others image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The restrikes are generally better quality.

There are lots of very low mintage modern gold coins. Many of these are starting to get a little more
    of a premium but some can still be found dirt cheap.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I recognize that sovereign (I'm glad you like it). The others are nice too.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson