Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Not gorgeous, but all mine

This last year I've been building a raw '56 Topps baseball set. I love those cards with the action shot back drop. I decided (for obvious reasons) to collect the stars in graded. My set is ex/mt to NM, so I settled on PSA 6 cards. Because centering is not an issue for me, I've added a PSA 7 o/c Mays card, and this week my Mantle arrived. All I need now is a Williams, Spahn, Reese and Feller and my stars will be complete; I probably need another 40 or so commons.

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Even OC those HOF cards are nice. Especially if you prefer corners over centering as a primary criteria. ( those cards in straight grades can be pricey) Nice indeed!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Hey, that's what collectin' is all about. Doesn't necessarily have to be great for anyone else but you. If it was all about the profit, then I know that I wouldn't be involved. That's why I started putting together the 1984 Donruss set in all PSA 9 or better. Just a set that I loved growing up and it brings back so many memories.

Oh well, good luck with the rest of your set!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    That is GORGEOUS! extremely pretty. I could probably afford a psa 4 on my teacher's salary... if stretched myself... and someday I will... gotta get that psa 6/7 54 jackie robinson also.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eye appeal of those cards are all that matter, and the fact that you really like them. Very nice cards indeed. And very affordable for those of us that cant spend hugh bucks, but still want a quality card. I recently picked up a T206 Bescher with a MK qualifier. It has an almost un noticeable pencil mark on the Back. Front was pure and because of the Q less than half price. Eye appeal was great. After all we usually stare at the fronts. right? Again, Morrell, very nice find. Out
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I love the '56 Mick in his Triple Crown Year, and that background shot of him stealing a HR!

Is it true that on the Mays card, that's not really Willie sliding across home plate? Maybe it's the Clemente card where they used a photo of Willie by mistake. I can't remember.
  • Options
    I thought that was a picture of Aaron sliding on the Mays card. In addition, the photo of Mantle was taking in 1951.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I meant the card in his Triple Crown year, not the background shot. I didn't know what year that was, thanks. If it's Hank sliding on the Mays card, they must have painted "Giants" on his jersey when they discovered their mistake, which is certainly possible.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I have not heard of that being aaron sliding on mays card...but i definitely KNOW that its not aaron on his 56 card but willie mays....its 100% obvious that its Mays..

loth
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    After collecting this set...minus the checklists...which im not fond of but will eventually own (the set was not supposed to have them included but due to there lack of scarcity compared to 1957 they have been included in the psa registry......)

I can say this......NO MATTER THE CENTERING.....the 56's look GREAT displayed...the pictures are so big that an OC card is nothing big on the eye....

GREAT JOB!!! CONTINUE AND HAVE FUN ON THE 56's!!!! Remember....a 340 or 342 card set of 1956 topps was something NO KID EVER WAS ABLE TO COMPLETE IN 1956!!!!! IT TRULY IS A GREAT FEAT!!!

Loth
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Those cards are truly beautiful cards...I've always wanted to go after cards that I want in the best grade I can afford them.

I would love a set of those cards as they look so good and display very nicely...but will be a long, long time before I go down that road.

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Mark, that is interesting. Personally, I would chose rounded corners over off-centeredness but unfortunately for me, it's a whole lot easier to find OC cards than non-OC cards in any condition. Keep up the good work.