Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this look like a snipe gone bad??

Not sure if someone just wanted that coin so bad that they were willing to put in a high snipe hoping it wouldnt go that high or this was a snipe gone bad. I searched past auctions and this price is way out there.

LINK
"Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930
image

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86

Comments

  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Either way the seller's got to be extremely happy.
    Bill

    image

    09/07/2006
  • Options
    image
  • Options


    << <i>image >>

    imageimage
  • Options
    Interestingly enough 2 bidders overbid apparently. One at $750 and the winner at $760. A lot more than the bids just prior.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the three second spread in the top three bids. I would say it was sniping at it's best. The top two bidders really wanted the coin bad, and the seller hasn't even got it back from PCGS yet.
    BTW if I put my snipe at $750. And you put your snipe at $1000.00. You will get the coin for $760.00. Probably what happened.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO it went bad with the bid of $50.

    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Two bidders tried nuclear snipes. It happens -- I've seen $20 memory sticks end up "selling" for over $1000 because of this. ("Selling" in quotes because I doubt the buyer paid.)

    But in any case, I think the dozen or so underbidders are nuts, too.
  • Options
    OMFG.......................image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

    Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    Wonder how the completion of that sell will go?
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

    No, there is no such thing as a bad snipe. The buyer bid, period. If it's too high then too bad. Why are these things so hard for people to figure out?
  • Options
    TrinkettsTrinketts Posts: 1,699 ✭
    Even $300 is high for this coin... image
    Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭
    If I'm the seller, I'm hoping no one's mother just died.
  • Options
    Good lord!

    Time to send in all my mint set Sacs I guess! lol
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭
    Thats gotta be one happy seller!

    TorinoCobra71
    image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    It only takes two to tango!

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    But don't forget the D-mint sacs are already rare in MS69. Just look at the pops.













    image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570 ✭

    I once saw the same thing on a 2001 Buffalo S$1 PCGS PR70DCAM that shot up from $2,000 to $5,025 when two snipes kicked in.

    Something tells me that one went unpaid.
    image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>One at $750 and the winner at $760 >>



    LOL. The only "winner" here was the seller who probably paid $3 for the Sac to begin with.

    Buyers need to decide what they are willing to pay for a coin beforehand and set the bid accordingly. If someone is dumb enough to put a very high price on a coin and end up getting into a snipe DUEL that is their problem. They deserve what they get. It's not as if there isn't going to be another MS69 fer chrissakes....

    jom
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭
    hilarious. i cannot even begin to imagine using snipe software and loading it
    up with a 750 max for that ugly coin.

    edited to add: ugly is harsh. Let me rephrase it to, "I do not care for it".
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777 ✭
    It's not as if there isn't going to be another MS69 fer chrissakes....

    Even if there isn't, that's still to much to pay!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jpalcoins has been a bidding nemisis of mine at eBay in the past, primarily with Jefferson Nickels, but it's been close to 2 years since i went up against his bids. i had asked here before if anyone knew who that eBay member is but never received a reply from anyone familiar with them. they/he/she is still very active.
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    It sure must be nice to have sooooo much money! image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Two bidders tried nuclear snipes. It happens -- I've seen $20 memory sticks end up "selling" for over $1000 because of this. ("Selling" in quotes because I doubt the buyer paid.)

    But in any case, I think the dozen or so underbidders are nuts, too. >>



    Yup, I've seen it happen in coins before. They just type in some absurd amount of money for a snipe not realizing someone else is doing the same thing. The winner (or loser, really)
    winds up with a winning bid one increment above the lesser absurd snipe bid.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've also seen this happen several times (once on one of my coins image)

    The sniping software is working perfectly - but in the hands of two morons you get results like this.

    I wish I was the seller and had a second coin to offer to the undermoron on a 'second chance offer'. Think he'd take it?

    image

    “In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

    My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file