Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How will the SF designation affect the Registry?

I collect SAC's will I be required to have both the Satin Finish P & D and also the Business strike P & D to complete my 2005 registry year requirements? Or will it be either/or, maybe mix and match?

Thanks in advance
"Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86

Comments

• Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    So far it looks like an either/or situation as the mint sets are falling in with no problem.
  • Options

<< <i>So far it looks like an either/or situation as the mint sets are falling in with no problem. >>

Seth
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I for one see a problem with this. If either can be used, who would want a business strike, when it seems clear that the satin finish coins can be collected in a higher grade? Business strikes are what the MS collections are all about, right?? image
    Dan
  • Options
    nalamolly5nalamolly5 Posts: 671 ✭✭
    From what I have seen, if a proof coin is issued in a year, then SMS coins are considered circulation stikes. If no proof sets are issued for the year, then SMS issues cannot be used in circulation sets. Satin Finish would fall into this category.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Well then where does that leave all the coins in rolls that are issued from the Federal reserve??
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>The only answer is to ask PCGS. >>

There will be some VERY rare non Satin Finish coins this year. Perhaps they might give them a "weight" in the registry???
    Seth
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    One big change is that the Satin coins are valid in the 1950-Present Type set. Previosly MS69's were hard to come by as a type coin. Not any more.

• Options
    The Satin Finish coins are not available in circulation...So, how can they rightfully be included in a "Circulation Strike" set?
    They will have a value of there own due to the fact that they are only available from the mint.
    As always, the mint and fed rolls and bags should be the only source of coins considered as part of the regular registry sets.

The "Satin Finish" coins, since they are only available in "Mint Sets" should, by definition, only be included in the "Collector's Mint" set!!!
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>The Satin Finish coins are not available in circulation...So, how can they rightfully be included in a "Circulation Strike" set?
    They will have a value of there own due to the fact that they are only available from the mint.
    As always, the mint and fed rolls and bags should be the only source of coins considered as part of the regular registry sets.

The "Satin Finish" coins, since they are only available in "Mint Sets" should, by definition, only be included in the "Collector's Mint" set!!! >>

I have seen both SF SAC's and SQ's added to the registry already. I have submitted ths question to DH for todays Q&A, lets see if he chooses to answer.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen both SF SAC's and SQ's added to the registry already. I have submitted ths question to DH for todays Q&A, lets see if he chooses to answer. >>

Ditto...and I am glad that you asked David. I was going to do the same thing, but I will wait to see how he answers you.

;image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In other cases they ask the participants. In this case, it would be so many different sets I do not think that would work. Since they are already being allowed, I would guess that it will be an either situation.

It will be interesting to see how things work out in the market. If the SF coins work in place of regular business strikes in the registry, I suspect it would have a very big impact on the values of the non SF coins.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053