Options
Woo-Hoo! Got VAM crossover grades (tough coins!!)
These were crossovers sent in the holders. VAM attributions are not noted on the PCGS holders. I used free grading vouchers received from a blown submission deadline earlier this year. Free grading, fast turnaround, and VERY tough VAMs that all crossed at the same grade... SWEET!!
LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION VARIETY COUNTRY GRADE
1 22006207 1883 S$1 USA XF40
VAM 10 sextupled stars; was a PCI-40
2 22006208 1887 S$1 USA XF45
VAM 1A Donkey Tail; was an ANACS-45
3 22006209 1879-O S$1 USA AU53
VAM 28 (no, not VAM 4) O/horizontal O; was an ANACS-53
Date Received: 06/14/2005
Gades Posted: 06/24/2005
LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION VARIETY COUNTRY GRADE
1 22006207 1883 S$1 USA XF40
VAM 10 sextupled stars; was a PCI-40
2 22006208 1887 S$1 USA XF45
VAM 1A Donkey Tail; was an ANACS-45
3 22006209 1879-O S$1 USA AU53
VAM 28 (no, not VAM 4) O/horizontal O; was an ANACS-53
Date Received: 06/14/2005
Gades Posted: 06/24/2005
When in doubt, don't.
0
Comments
Since 1887-P is a very common date, it's only a matter of time before you find a Donkey Tail... and Jeff Oxman says finding a mint state example shouldn't be out of the question. Now wouldn't THAT be exciting!
XF45 is the best example I own, but hopefully that will change some day.
******
If PCGS isn't attributing the VAMs on the holder why did you cross them? When/If PCGS ever starts attributing VAMs you are going to pay to have them re-attributed? I don't understand??? Please help a modern crap collector understand why you would send coins in to lose the VAM designation on the label??
As we all know, PCGS coins trade at a premium while ANACS coins trade at a discount. My current CDN shows that PCGS trades at an average of 83.01% of certified bid, while ANACS is trading at 56.08%. (ICG trades at 83.42%
As an example, take a coin worth a $1,000, and it can expect to trade for $830 in PCGS but only $560 in the ANACS plastic. Ahhhhh, now you see.
Charlie
I strongly suspect PCGS will announce the start of VAM attributions at the ANA show next month in San Francisco. I know they've progressed far enough in the preparation process that they asked a collector about a month or so ago to submit 1,000 (my best guess) ANACS VAMs for crossover so they could, I assume, 'practice' verifying attributions with the materials they intend to use. I still haven't gotten any word on the status of those coins.
MadMarty:
A designation on the holder, while nice, means zip to me in comparison to the coin being in a PCGS holder. I know what the VAMs are, I know how to identify them, and there are tons of other VAMers who can too. Also, I believe that by submitting the coins for crossover now, before PCGS begins to learn what the value of some of them is, it may allow the coins to get a totally unbiased 'look' by the graders. For instance, the 1887 XF45 Donkey Tail I just sent them is about a $500 coin. But the graders don't know that yet. To them it's just an XF common date worth about $13. The 1883 sextupled stars and 1979-O/O are even more extreme examples of the same concept. Do graders grade $13 coins the same way they grade $500+ coins? Maybe. This idea may just be paranoia talking, but I'm OK with that. If and when I have to pay a variety designation fee to get the attributions on the holder, I'll be glad to pay them -- and I think I'll still have come out ahead.
Darn right. I think you'll get better grades this way too.
Free Trial