Home U.S. Coin Forum

What will the new Presidents dollar coins do to the price of Gov mint and PROOF sets?

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the Silver PROOF set just a hair under $40 clams now, I'm wondering once they add 4 new dollar coins per year, is the price going to be closer to $55 or $60 for Silver PROOF sets?

$40 for clad PROOFs?

$20 for mint (unc) sets?

Just wondering.

Comments

• MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    It depends on whether they are considered regular currency or if they are considered to be commemoratives. Are they going to issue clad ones? If so, then they might be considered regular currency and might be included in the sets. If they are going to be silver only then my guess is they will not be included in the sets and will be issued seperately as commems.
  • I do not think they will be included in the Proof Mint sets...they will be an issue of their own.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they do go in the proof set. To keep up with all the mint issues takes a lot of budget. I think in the long run they will be less than buying all the additional packaging.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    What Dlimb2 says:image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be mistaken but my understanding is that these will be regular issue coins
    and at least theoretically used in commerce. They will likely be in the proof and mint
    sets with a proof or satin finish but will not appear as silver.

There would be a price increase in the sets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    I also understood these to be regular issues.
    If the mint is entertaining any thought of keeping up the success of the state quarter program, then I think they will have to make clad versions. I think the impact to the collecting market would be minimal if they were only silver issues as there would not me an inexpensive way for most people to collect them. That was the beauty of the state quarter program.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the new Presidents dollar coins >>

I guess I should dig out from underneath my rock and crawl into the daylight once in a while...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • The Presidential series is replacing the SAC. How many different types will be produced each year? I was hoping only one per year but it sounds as if there will be multiples. Correct?
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Prez series will be a big hit, just like the quarters. It may possibly be enough to drive back the dollar coins back into circulation. Every other country gave up their $1 paper equivalents a long time ago. Maybe this will push us over the edge.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they aren't included....I don't like the idea.
    It's just an idea from a stupid politician who hasn't gauged things....it will most likely be a huge disappointment, ala SBA$, and will be just another side track for people who like to collect series/moderns.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    My understanding is that the dollar coins depicting the Presidents will be business strikes and proofs. They will not replace the Sac, as the Sac will continue to be struck. Their composition will be the same as the Sac, as far as I know. Therefore, they will be part of the proof and uncirculated mint sets. First lady coins will be struck in .9999 gold as a $5 commemorative. Where there is no first lady, the image will be a representation of Liberty from that time period. image
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The Presidential dollar coins ARE intended to be circulation coins probably of the same or similar composition as that of the Sac dollar (although the legislation contans language which seems to imply that the mint should try and do something to keep them from tarnishing so fast). There will be four different coins each year so I would say they WILL be in the proof and mint sets. If passed, issue is planned for 2007. resultng in a 13 piece proof set and a 26 piece mint set.

(2007 will set a new record for the largest number of different coin types issued in a single year with possibly as many as 23 different. Cent, five cent, dime, 5 quarters, half, 4 dollars, silver eagle, 1/10 .916 gold eagle, 1/4 oz .916 gold eagle, 1/2 oz .916 gold eagle, 1 oz .916 gold eagle, the 4 .999 fine gold bullion coins, and the 4 First Lady $10 gold. Plus possibly as many a four commemorative coins. If you get one of each coin from each mint and the MS & Proof versions it will add up to 60 different coins plus 8 more if they do the commems.)
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully those new Presidential Dollar Coins will bring greater awareness of the denomination to the general public. I was in Wal-Mart last night and saw a cashier refuse a Sackie. The guy tried to explain it was a US Coin - cashier acted indifferent and unbelieving.

I think the new $1 Coins will only circulate if the paper $1 is discontinued. But if the BEP did that ( discontinue the paper $1 ) the uproar would be really bad.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Mike

good clarifying point of the possible coins in 2007. i sure hope there's some type of cap on the added coins and that this new MS Satin finish is refined and continued. rock on U.S.Mint!!
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all this excitement about seeing presidents on coins, (And first ladies!) sometimes I think we forget about vice presidents! I hope they each get a coin as well.

And this guy... He *is* the American economy now!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • I'm going to collect these Presidential dollars - begrudgingly. I feel like the mint is going a bit overboard in 2007. In addition to all of the coins that Conder101 mentioned there will also be the platinum issues. It's getting to the point that if a guy wanted one example of every mint issue for the year he's have to take out a second mortgage. I'm all for new series in American coinage, but I wish they'd finish one before starting six more. Oh, and can we please get Liberty back on a circulating coin? PLEASE?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the legislature seems to believe that coin collectors have unlimited budgets...the sky's the limit.
    All glory is fleeting.

• << <i>In all this excitement about seeing presidents on coins, (And first ladies!) sometimes I think we forget about vice presidents! I hope they each get a coin as well. >>

That is all that we need!! I'm not sure if I could stand looking at a coin with Gore, Agnew, Quayle or Hannibal Hamlin on it. Let's not give the mint any ideas on this topic.

Tim
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the legislation say that 1 out of 3 Dollar coins still has to be the Sac Dollar.....

I think the proof set will be 14 coins and the mint set will be 28 coins.....

5 Dollars
    5 Quarters
    1 Dime, Penny, Nickel & Half

Ya know people would get over scrapping the dollar bill and going to $1 coins.....

You know the prices of these sets will go up.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

• << <i>I might be mistaken but my understanding is that these will be regular issue coins
    and at least theoretically used in commerce. >>

That was my understanding of the legislation as well. It was passed in part to increase the circulation of the $1 coin.

I'm assuming they will all be in each of the sets (silver, clad and mint) just like both designs of the nickels have been the past 2 years.
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • With the Proof and Mint sets changing every year.

This should get interesting as it develops.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file