Home Autographs Forum
Options

I have a Grateful Dead autographed album...

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
With a COA (Yah, I can print those up all day long) that reads:

COA
Old Pro Sports
2219 W. Olive Avenue, Suite 161
Burbank, CA
SRAC 8867

The COA is from 1996, and was signed by A.R Hernandez.

Damn, I feel... taken. It was $350. image
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi,
    Well, like many others I do not deal much in "modern" signatures as they are almost always forged or secretarial at best. I think 5% of Beatles signatures are authentic. Don't worry so much about that right now - or the COA. Post a good scan. That is what really matters. That you paid only $350 does not mean everything either - that is not that far off from what a genuine signed album might bring at auction in 1996. Even today prices range from $400 to $700 with a lot of room depending on many variables (when/how signed, by all, which album, ball point or felt, condition, possible provenance etc). What you pay does not alwayts mean much - on eBay I once bought a properly listed PSA/DNA certified unique vintage candid signed in ink by one of the greatest celebrities EVER (the kind listed in bold in the price guides) from a well respected auction house in broad daylight for $68. Value? $650 +. So, ya never know. Do not get your hopes up - just post a scan and we will see what you have image

Billy
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    billy...are you still braggin about the judy garland sig you stole?????????
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options

<< <i>billy...are you still braggin about the judy garland sig you stole????????? >>

Duner, why do you say that?

Judy Garland - vintage inscribed signed original glossy b/w candid live "TV" snapshot likely from her second TV appearance - "The Tonight Show" linkup broadcast of the Premiere of Frank Sinatra's "The Man with the Golden Arm", 12/26/55, blue fountain pen, with notation in the hand of the original collector in blue ball-point pen on the verso, from the Grace Cunningham Candid TV Snapshot Collection, originally sold in the Mastronet "Americana Auction", signed 1/56 (it is possibly from second "A Star Is born" Premiere Oct. 11, 1954 according to a Garland author I know)

All day long Duner image but that is not my best buy. It wasn't exactly at gunpoint, but I guess I could see where some might call that Garland a "steal" image

Did I ever mention that, except for the Lugosi, almost my entire collection was "ripped"? image Just today I made a purchase - $3.19 for a $175+ SP image I am paying more for S+H LOL.

Almost all items in my other collections were rips to tell the truth image I am online a LOT image too much..

Not trying to brag (well, maybe a little, see my next post image )- just very proud of my collections, and always happy to share info!

Billy

• Options
    I'll scan it tomorrow and post it... thanks for the advice!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Here's a link to the COA...

Dead COA
  • Options
    I've had this long enough that most of the hurtin' would be gone... you can be brutally honest. image I'm not an autograph hound at all and I'm looking at it very suspiciously.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I need to see scans of the signatures image I think you forgot to upload them or link to them?

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    Oooh, of the *album*. Man, I'm an idiot.. image Gimme another few hours..

Thanks!
  • Options
  • Options
    Hello,
    from what I can see, from your scan (and it hard to see the sigs, but that may be why this cover was chosen apart from popularity), that does not appear genuine. The use of Sharpies always makes me nervous as they are often deliberately used as they bleed or melt into themselves (especially when "smushed") so signing details are concealed and bleed into themselves. This item bears signatures that differ greatly in style and character formation (the "J" in Jerry for example, and many others) etc - it is most likely a poor forgery from the scans. Several of the signatures on your album seem to be by the same hand, and only a very general attempt has been made to resemble the real thing - attached below. Sorry image

Grateful Dead signed In The Closet Album - recent Sharpie signatures c. early 1990's

Vintage promotional photo bearing earler signatures in felt tip c. late 1970's

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    I thank you for your time, Billy, honestly, I'm not too disappointed, in that's pretty much what I expected to find out. Is there's a PCGS equiv for autographs? I still want a Dead signed album. image (This very reason is why my two type 2 SBAs are in PCGS holders-- I don't trust myself or any dealer to be able to tell the difference well enough)

In the meantime, I think I'm gonna destoy this album. It's too depressing to look at, and I don't want someone else to get ahold of it and try and pawn it off on someone down the road.
  • Options
    Hi,
    well, don't go destroying anything. It is quite likely a poor forgery but I don't have it my hand it it is not a great scan. Get a second opnion - that said, I am quite certain it is a poor forgery. Yes, there is PSA/DNA for signatures, but they don't guarantee anything like a PCGS slab which has $$$ behind it if found to be altered or AT or whatever. You can "easily" find a signed album by dealing with a UACC registrered dealer of great reputation or a very good auction house whose items bear PSA/DNA papers. To be quite honest, I don't think I have ever seen a PSA/DSNA cert I have disagreed with. "Regular" UACC members and Dealers - well...they vary...so thats why you find a VERY reputable established Registreed Dealer of long standing. If the album you have is fake (A safe bet I think) there are organizations that actually accept donations of forged material for a variety of uses - all legitimate.

Best, and you are very welcome (some charge for rendering opinions, but to my thinking thanks to you I know have some idea what these look like image )

Billy image