Home Sports Talk

Was Your Favorite Player a "Non-Star"?

Sure, the fans who worship The Mick or The Rocket are legion, but have you ever held a non-star player up on a pedestal as your favorite?

I know in my case it was New York Giants DB Erich Barnes. Back in the early 60s, the Giants acquired "E" from Da Bears and he immediately became my favorite player on the team. I'm pretty sure he still owns the Giants team record for the longest interception return - 102 yards for a TD vs. the Cowboys down in the Cotton Bowl.

Comments

• When I was a kid, my favorite Met was Ron Hunt - hardly a star.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Growing up my favorite player was Carlton Fisk but I also enjoyed watching Dwight Evans play right field in Fenway. No one has ever played that position better in Boston.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Growing up, my favorite player was Vince Coleman. That man could really run.

Shane

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ron Swoboda for me.
    Good for you.

• << <i>Was Your Favorite Player a "Non-Star"? >>

Any player on the Mariners besides Ichiro.

He is the only "star" left on that team. (wonder how soon he will leave for greener pastures like all other stars in the mariner history?????) image
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Was Your Favorite Player a "Non-Star"? >>

Any player on the Mariners besides Ichiro.

He is the only "star" left on that team. (wonder how soon he will leave for greener pastures like all other stars in the mariner history?????) image >>

Wow I have a fan (or a stalker)....

You like me....you really, really like me!

Take your man crush elsewhere please...I think spammy would enjoy your attention.

• Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Bobby Murcer was my first favorite player when I started rooting for the Yankees as a 12 year old kid.

• << <i>Wow I have a fan (or a stalker)..... >>

do not be a freak. That post has nothing to do with you, as you do not play for, or even know any of the Seattle players. Do not be so arrogant and so stupid. Get over yourself - the World does not revolve around you.

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow I have a fan (or a stalker)..... >>

do not be a freak. That post has nothing to do with you, as you do not play for, or even know any of the Seattle players. Do not be so arrogant and so stupid. Get over yourself - the World does not revolve around you. >>

Then kind sir how do you explain your fascination with my team? You have shown no hatred towards the Mariners until you and I had an argument, now every post you make attempts to belittle the M's.

How exactly does 'was your favorite player a non-star' turn into your ignorant self posting 'Any player on the Mariners besides Ichiro.

He is the only "star" left on that team. (wonder how soon he will leave for greener pastures like all other stars in the mariner history?????'

Dude you need counseling.
  • Aurelio Lopez aka Senior Smoke.

We loved that guy.

But then he ate too many tacos or something and looked like a Mexican Tommy Lasorda.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Growing up in San Diego in the 1970's, my favorite Padre was Randy Jones. Not a star, but he did win the 1976 Cy Young Awardimage

Steve

• << <i>explain your fascination with my team?
    Dude you need counseling. >>

No, Obviously YOU need counseling. YOU think you are the owner of the Mariners??!!

Your team?! image That is a good one!!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Yes MY team as in MY team I root for.

I am not a delusional fool such as yourself unable to comprehend basic concepts...when a fan (yes, that's me...unlike yourself which seems bent on trying to deface the Mariners) refers to the team they root for, they say MY team.

Go away. You contribute nothing useful to ANY discussion, your only 'input' is derision of the Mariners. When's the last time posted outside the sports forum? Do you even collect cards, or are you just another board troll like the spaminator who trolls this forum and doesn't collect cards or have insights other than 'the Mariners suck!'?

• << <i>Do you even collect cards? >>

what does card collecting have to do with this topic?

Again, you are just trying to change the subject! Typical tactic when defensive.