Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Best way to crack different holders?

I recall a link to a website that described how best to crack holders from each of the different grading companies. Does anyone have that link?

Has anyone come up with a fast way to crack the holders without damaging the cards? I have a big group of cards from a single submission that I feel were graded much more harshly than my other submissions. Using the box cutter/screwdriver method is very time consuming for alarge group of cards.
View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I have found that the best way to do all PSA, BGS, GAI, SGC is with a pliers and a small flathead screw driver.

You need a pliers that has the part to cut near the joint, I think it is made for stripping wires. I use that end and cut about an inch in on the top to cut the corner off. I then slide the scredriver in across the flip and lightly try to open the two parts. If needed I will slide the end of the screwdriver down the side. Since I have devloped this technique I have busted over 100 cards without ruing one!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    The pliers technique sounds good and faster than some of the others I have tried. I think I will head to Home Depot to try and find pliers or something else to clip the plastic.
  • Options
    dave-dremel rotary tool, works great on the impervious BVG slabs too.
  • Options
    I am not the handiest guy around. I found shops with Dremel Rotary tool on the net and I understand how it works, but how do you use it to open the slabs and which bit do you use? I like the idea because it looks much faster than using the pliers or utility knife and the dremel tool is inexpensive.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I cover one corner with a small paper towel and crack it at an angle with a pair of pliers. I then take a pocket knife and gently pry along the top and usually get any holder to open without any problems. I have probably busted at least a 100 of them. PSA holders i can usually pop with a pocket knife if i need to crack one out.
  • Options
    Use the cutting disk that comes with most dremel kits. It's like having a minature saw. You can cut the corner or the entire top off of any slab in just a few seconds.
  • Options
    Thanks. I am buying a dremel rotary tool.
  • Options
    Bought the Dremel at Tyler Tool Tyler Tool for $34.95.

Thanks again for all of the advice. This will be a huge help.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I think the one you bought does not come with the cutting disc. You probably can get one at the local hardware store, but I was looking to pick this up too and saw no disc.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I also bought something for $12 called Dremel #688 Cut-Off Wheel Set. I think that has the discs I need. I also looked at the picture of the tool set and it looked like there were discs.