Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1789 George III Recovers from Illness.

Madness really, the result of the disease of porphyria. There are at least eight different types of the disease and the King suffered from one of the most severe. For a month in the beginning of 1789 the Prince of Wales was appointed Regent but the King recovered. The Prince also suffered from the disease but it never developed the spectacular symtoms that his father had. The Regency was declared a couple more times until about 1811 when it became permanent. George III hung on for another ten years after that but never again was coherent.

imageimage

25mm.

BHM 300, BHM says it was normal availability. D&H 937, Dalton & Hamer says it is rare.
Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    Smashing! I especially like the scalloped edges.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Wow!!! That's one super-cool looking medal/token (despite the visage of that sad-looking king)!!! What's the metal?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I love those gilt scallopped pieces. I have one of William III
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice medal! I like the abbreviated "restor'd."
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Very high on the "cool" charts....image

Who engraved/struck this piece? Soho?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Smashing! I especially like the scalloped edges. >>

What he said!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Very sweet, and right up my alley!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Hello there, Bag-o-Bones!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Hello Good Sir Mikey!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Love it! image

BTW, Dr. Sriro does not have an example of this token on his CD of tokens which would seem to confirm its rarity.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    What a fascinating piece. It's also interesting to review the king's bouts with madness.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    The diesinker on this piece, J. Davies, seemed to work mostly with a manufacturer listed as J. Good. There were a couple of other manufacturers as well that he did work for. I really like the scalloped edge pieces and I got this example as a part of a small lot of relatively common brass medals. I had collected another:

imageimage

a few years ago. The color is pretty accurate and led me to speculate at the time that it might be made of copper, though it isn't listed in that metal.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)