Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

COLLECT COINS- MAKE MONEY, EVERY SALE.....

image As collectors, we collect for enjoyment. A secondary consideration is to make a profit when we sell. I have never met a collector who said, " I want to loose money when I sell my collection "
The solution that I use to accomplish this is to collect modern coins as a series, and collect the " Key " coins from all other series as type coins.
Many times I can find modern coins in dealer stock ih high grade, and worth hundreds of dollars in that condition in that grade. Many of these can be purchased for a fraction of their true value.
" Traditional " coins are great to collect, and I do, however, there are no great bargains in buying them. They need to be for at least 5 years, unless they are " Key coins ". Even then, the profit realized is usually paid in inflated dollars.
Rare error coins are also great when it comes to appreciating in value, the consideration here is that the error coin should be a high demand coin.
It doesn't really matter a lot if something is rare, if demand is not there.

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fail to see any reason to collect something you do not like.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>I fail to see any reason to collect something you do not like.

I Collect from almost every series, but I collect the " Key " coins as type. Using this method, I ALWAYS make a profit when I sell.
    Many collectors have limited budgets, and like to collect within their means. There will always be collectors with deep pockets who can choose any series that they like, but for a large portion of the collecting community, 1804 dollars, and complete sets of double eagles are not within their budgets.
    Certainly, I will never be able to collect 1804 dollars, but that does'nt bother me, because there are many, many, other challenging, and interesting coins that, i and others can collect.
    That's the great thing about collecting, there is something for everyone !!!