Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Top 8 most popular Registry sets

I found this to be a little surprizing:

297 Morgan Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1878-1921)
294 Silver Eagles, Circulation Strikes (1986-present)
278 Eisenhower Dollars, Proof (1971-1978)
247 Sacagawea Dollars, Proof (2000-present)
237 Washington Statehood Quarters, Proof (1999-Present)
224 Silver Eagles, Proof (1986-present)
221 Susan B. Anthony Dollars, Proof (1979-1981, 1999)
200 Kennedy Half Dollars, Proof (1964-Present)
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I would have thought Lincolns would be in there somewhere.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Best Lincoln showing:

169 Lincoln Cents Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1909-1958)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of those sets are short which would make sense to see a lot of. I agree with Russ on the Lincoln's, as it would be the only set I would think would be included that was not.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    There are a lot of morgan collectors, that's true but only 30 completed sets in that series. Almost all have low grade key dates.
    Only a few more sets will be completed, because the coins are simply not available.
    This always happens when a series becomes too expensive for the average collector. Large cents, and double eagles are 2 good examples.
    First the series turns into , date sets, short sets then last it turns into type coins.
    Right now is a good time to sell morgans, demand is there, coins are not !
    The reason that most dealers like morgans, is that they are sold, over, and over, after most collectors realize that they cannot complete their set, it is sold. Then the next collector lines up, and buys the same coins from the same dealer !
  • Options
    " The reason that most dealers like morgans, is that they are sold, over, and over, after most collectors realize that they cannot complete their set, it is sold. Then the next collector lines up, and buys the same coins from the same dealer !"

I disagree, the reason dealers like Morgans is that there is a huge supply of them; just look at the POPs. (I agree that there are key dates, but that's true of almost all series.)
  • Options
    The reason most dealers sell morgans is demand and profit !
    Coins that are plentiful are sold on tv, at inflated prices ( coin vault show ) it's hard to mass market 1893-S Morgan dollars, because there are few available.
    When coins become too expensive for the average collector, the series turns into year sets, short sets, and lastly, type coins. This has happened to morgans in the last 25 years.
    It has happened to many other series as well : Examples : Double eagles and large cents.
    How many collectors can afford ( or even find ) coins to complete sets from those series !! Most collectors collect those coins as short sets , or type coins. When this happens, prices stop climbing for most of those coins, except key dates.
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I think a better measure is number of coins in the registry (ie %done * numNeededForFullSet)

11269 Morgan Dollars Basic Set Circulation Strikes (1878-1921)
    9891 Lincoln Cents Basic Set Circulation Strikes (1909-1958)
    6351 Kennedy Half Dollars Proof (1964-Present)
    5875 Washington Statehood Quarters Circulation Strikes (1999-Present)
    4160 Silver Eagles Circulation Strikes (1986-present)
    3255 Silver Eagles Proof (1986-present)
    2032 Eisenhower Dollars Basic Set Circulation Strikes (1971-1978)
    1347 Sacagawea Dollars Circulation Strikes (2000-present)
    843 Susan B. Anthony Dollars Proof (1979-1981, 1999)
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The sets that surprise you are popular because the are affordable. The average collector is not the person who can complete a Morgan set, but they can complete Kennedys or Ikes without breaking the bank. I see this as very healthy for the hobby.

I love the classic series, but not everyone can afford them. I suspect many have made the choice to pursue really nice moderns instead of having to settle for G, VG coins in a series like Walkers. I know that I gave up on my Merc set due to financial constraints. The key coins were just out of reach in Unc and it made no sense to me to have an unbalanced set (my own problem perhaps).

Anyway, I see this as a sign the hobby is in good health as there is depth to it beyond the rich collectors.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that one can look at this many different ways.

Registry set don't really repsent the collcecting public just the slabbed collectors.

I think the most collected sets are as followed
    Morgans
    Lincoln cents
    Roosevelt dimes
    Jefferson nickles
    Kennedy halfs
    Silver eagles
    mint sets
    Proof sets

Just a guess
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not surprised...in fact I would've expected that as such. Outside of Morgans, those sets are affordable for the average person. It takes some people a long time to get comfortable in spending over $500, $1,000, $2,500, etc., for a coin, and most people just flat out don't have the means to. How many people can afford a high-grade 19-D and S, 18-D and S, and the king the 16-D Merc. In high grade, any one of these coins (let alone all) are worth more than entire sets (outside of Morgans). New collectors believe that more coins for the $$ is safer and thus opt to own 30 coins worth $5k than to own 1. No right/wrong here, just different strokes for different folks image
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Peace dollars is another affordable collection to put together. Most are inexpensive in 63 and the key can be had in AU for about $500.
  • Options
    I'm mostly surprised that 6 of the 8 are proofs.