Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

For Fun: What is the lowest graded, but still very rare coin in your registry set?

I'll go first with a modern WJN nickel:

2004P Peace Medal PCGS MS67
--> It is a rare coin, but low grade relative to others in the set.
--> Pop 39/4 higher

Ok, I know there are a LOT better examples out there than this, but it's a start.

What do you have? Please Share!!! image
Seth

Comments

• Options
    So I have this #1 mint set for 1980. I have 8 top pop coins in this 13 coin set and all of the coins are ms66 or ms67 (the highest grades for 1980) except for this lonely ms64 D kennedy! With a pop of 8 in ms64, 16 in ms65, 44 in ms66, 30 in ms67, and 1 in ms68, my ms64 sticks out like a sore thumb!!

Check out my sig for a link!

Zach
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my Morgan Dollar mint mark type set I have some real strange stuff (all are pop. 1):

1886-P in Poor-01
    1893-CC in Poor-01
    1888-O doubled die obverse ("Hot Lips") in Fair-02
    1895-S in Poor-01

I also have an 1885-CC in Fair-02 in my Morgan CC Registry Set, which is a pop. 1
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1795 Three Leaves half dollar PCGS VF20 pop 3/5. Eliasberg's coin was F12, very rare above this grade.

edit - 1795 O.111 is also a very interesting coin, the entire date was set too low on the die, and was re-punched higher. A massive reverse die crack, found on all known examples, forced early removal of the reverse die, the obverse die was used one more time.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    1797 VF-20 half dollar image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    Thanks Zack, DennisH, Nysoto, & jcping for GREAT examples!

The 1794 & 1797 Halves are an especially nice touch with less than 100 in PCGS holders combined.

I knew there were some really rare, but hard to identify coins in registry sets. image
    Seth
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Well.... I am kinda proud of my Pop 100, FR02, 1916-D Merc dime!

She was the 3rd one that has passed thru my hands, and the first one that turned out to be genuine!
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    1797 Half, fair-2:

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options

<< <i>1797 Half, fair-2: image >>

Colorfulcoins: Now that's what I'm talking about!!! image

Craig, thank you for sharing. image
    Seth
  • Options

<< <i>image Well.... I am kinda proud of my Pop 100, FR02, 1916-D Merc dime! She was the 3rd one that has passed thru my hands, and the first one that turned out to be genuine! image >>

Bubblehead: Nice! image
    Seth
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got it this week 1932-D VF-25 Washington. And just added it to this #2 set that is now 99.3% complete.
    Syl's Washington's
    Only two more to go just hope I dan't have to wait till my next bithday for another key date.
  • Options

<< <i>Just got it this week 1932-D VF-25 Washington. And just added it to this #2 set that is now 99.3% complete. Syl's Washington's Only two more to go just hope I dan't have to wait till my next bithday for another key date. image >>

LindeDad: That VF-25 definitely qualifies --> Thanks for sharing. image

PS: It was very nice of you to put my name next to D-TX. image
    Seth
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    1804 Restrike Large Cent MS64 RB the Eliasberg Specimen....only thing I have under 67
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

I don't know if I would call it rare. Scarce, maybe?

A 1796 Lib Cap 1c in PO01BN out of a total of 93 graded at PCGS.

Probably the rarest coin I own on that end of the scale is a VF35 DDR 1876 Carson City Trade Dollar. One of only two graded by PCGS but the sets don't list the variety. image

The second of these is an MS61 that just sold on Ebay for $4000.

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    rainbowroosie: Nice 1804 Eliasberg Specimen image

Dabigkahuna: Very Old, Very Rare, VERY low grade. Nice. image

CarsonCityGold: Thanks for the pic. It really puts the whole idea into perspective. image

Everyone has great examples whether modern or classic. I'm sure there are more great examples out there that haven't been shown yet. Pictures are a HUGE plus for the visual effect.

Please share your examples, they are priceless! (When's the last time you saw this in Coinage???)
    Seth
  • Options
    1893-S PCGS G-06 Morgan
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    MS64FS 1968-D Jeferson
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    1932D quarter PCGS MS62 and in another set, a 1936 proof quarter PCGS PR66. Of course, I have several other pr66's in my proof quarter set, but the 36 is the only one considered to have any scarcity at all.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    1803 H10c small 8, PCGS AG03, pop 1/5 (only 6 graded by PCGS). Low grade and low pop.....
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Numonebuyer, cackamas, Strat, & colorfulcoins:

Excellent examples that show scarcity on some, pricelessness on others, and all are SUPER coins to collect!

There truly is a rare coin for everyone. image
    Seth
  • Options
    1793 Chain Cent - PCGS Poor 01. Great conversation starter!!
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    73-cc dime in AU details - scratched - coroded (and something else but I don't think they could get it all on the anacs holder!

PCGS Total pop --- 3 --- in all grades.
    Doug
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1922 no D strong reverse - VF 35, everything else is MS 63 or better.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    My Flying Eagle Cent Set 1858/7 VG 08
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    1892-O micro O half dollar in PCGS MS 63, Barber half dollars with varieties set.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1870-S dollar in PCGS MS62.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Pan-Pacific and Stone Mt. that grade PO-01. One of my favorites is the Gettysburg in AG-03.
  • Options

<< <i>1870-S dollar in PCGS MS62. >>

tdn, most of us feel your pain.image

mine is a lowly 1799 dollar in 62.imageimage
    Keith
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    1812/1 lg 8 bust half-- XF 40 when I bought it, now 45

1795 half, 3 leaves VF 35

And I cannot believe I bought them at the low prices paid for such scarce rarities

Any 1806 knob 6, no stem in F or better-- I'm a buyer
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1888/7 IHC MS64RB - most of the set was 65-67Red. The 64 RB is the finest known of about 20 discovered to date. Beautiful proof-like coin. Still listed in my retired set but sold. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.