Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Trade dollar question

I am looking to pick up a Britsh trade dollar to add to my collection and was wondering if I need to be concerned about counterfeits as with US trade dollars. I will probably be making my purchase on Ebay and I know there are many fake US trade dollars out there. Should I stick with a certified British Trade dollar or is it not a concern with this series.

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just don't buy any from China image
  • Options
    I have seen lots of fake circulated British Trade Dollars, no MS state fake BTDs. So go for the higher grade ones.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do not mind certified, I would go for the slab. In the alternative, purchase from a well established vendor. I would be uncomfortable with the anonymous nature of the ebay seller for something like a BTD.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    They are generally not very spendy, though there are a few key dates that may be more apt to turn up as counterfeits.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I asked the same question and was told there are a lot of fakes out there. But I got lucky, ajaan had a couple nice circulated examples for sale. Maybe a board member will help you out, they are beautiful coins.
    Becky
  • Options
    skingspanskingspan Posts: 519 ✭✭
    Opinions on this one......

Ebay
  • Options
    I have a nice 1930b in my "Coins for Sale" link below. It's AU55ish and available for $30 delivered. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    imageimage

I did have to darken these pics just a bit to show the detail. I'm use to shooting coppers and silvers get over lighted to easily.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options

<< <i>[ get over lighted to easily. >>

Is that like being over served? image